Holy hell, help me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Holy hell, help me!!!

Please, let the gods of detailing help me out in this dire time of mine!!!!
o-k, here goes, i took a long trip to oklahoma from san diego, packed the truck and headed out. got to new mexico the first day, then to abilene texas the second. well it was raining in texas, so i stopped at a wal mart super center! let me tell you, WOW BIG!!! anyway, i bought a tarp, thought i'd be different and got camo color. then i got some bungee cords. well i put the tarp over the bed of the truck, over the sides of the truck, bungee'ed the bastard on and away i went to a hotel. got there, no problem. so i drove the 6 hours at 80 mph to madill oklahoma with this devil or a tarp waving in the wind. well not only did this som' bee-atch tarp take off the handle to my bed extender and chuck it somewhere in texas, it slapped the you know what out of my bed sides, marring up the entire side, port and starboard of my red beauty!! please guys it looks like crap-ola, and it makes me cringe everytime i look at it. it is only the clear coat that's jacked up, not into the paint. some areas it is black i guess from the tarp leaving it's color on the paint. i put a bunch of wax on it prior to leaving san diego. i went to a body shop and he said about a buck and a quarter to fix it. but i do not want to go that route. what will i need to fix this, just let me have it. preferrably meguire's. thanks guys. i really thank you! Willie

Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear about that! Did the whole bed extender get tossed, or just the handle?

Did you take any pics of what the tarp caused? You could try a dual action polisher and Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish...after a thorough wash job. Washing might take off the black? I think polishing is your best bet though. Keep us updated... :o

Old 05-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Gotta see pictures...

Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 AM
well i do not have access to a digital. and fontunatly no, only the handle on the bed extender was tossed. anyway, the best way i can describe it is it looks like someone took super fine, i mean 0000 fine, steel wool to it. it feels smooth, to the touch, no grooves or scratches, so no big damage to it. it is in spots, not the 'whole' side, but all over the side. that is the best i can do guys. but to me, that is what it looks like. like fine steel wool or fine sand paper went over it, it is just abrasion marks from the tarp. i know it is going to take some big stuff other than number 9 to fix it, but which cut should i use? and i take it it will be super hard by hand huh? PC here i come!!

Old 05-19-2005, 02:08 AM
Sounds like an easy fix if you have a buffer and some cutting compound .
If you dont have a good buffer , price an exterior detail from a local car wash .
Here in Dallas it is about $ 75.00-$ 100.00 for a exterior detail with buff and wax .

Old 05-19-2005, 07:53 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is an unknown...

It may be able to be removed in the skilled hands of a pro detailer with a buffer and some compounds but, then again, it may not. No way to tell without seeing pics...

My suggestion...

Find a GOOD detailer (check for recommendations from others) and have him/her look at it. Just my opinion, don't go for the bottom-basement fire-sale price... you get what you pay for typically when it comes to detailing.

RP

Old 05-19-2005, 08:29 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
If I find the handle to your bed extender I'll send it back to ya'!

Old 05-20-2005, 06:41 PM
thanks man!!

yeah just send it UPS to the US Navy!!

Old 05-22-2005, 07:53 PM
hello? beuller?

alright guys, i'm in little creek virginia. so now i have access to a computer. so what is the verdict? like i had said, it looks like it was hit by steel wool. but i looked at it a little closer, and it looks like if you were to take a piece of plastic, and bend it a few times, and it will look like it is wrinkled? sort of like that. i know it is a bad descrpition, but that is all i can do. i still do not have a camara. it looks bad in the sun light. it's like you can only see it when the sun or light hits it just right. it is smooth to the touch, no grooves or anything like that. i tried using cleaner wax, just to appease the devil in me about doing it, and it looked like it was enough to make some scratches dissapear, i think that if i would have tried to put a few more coats on it, it would go away, but it still won't be gone. what can i do to it to make it defect free? other than re-clear coating it? thanks all,
signed, despretely in need of some help

Old 05-22-2005, 08:14 PM

Quick Reply: Holy hell, help me!!!