Just purchased a DA Porter Cable 7336 - Which Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased a DA Porter Cable 7336 - Which Pads

So I've scoured this group and have found references to certain pads. Seems Premium Auto Care is the recommended site.

Which group of pads from this link would everyone recommend

Do I need anything else? Counter weights, addtional hand held pads, etc.

It seems that it is recommended that you put the wax on with the DA but take it off by hand when you are starting out correct?

Do you put bonnets on these pads or does the wax/polish/cleaner go directly on the pad.

Should I use different pads for each step? If so do any of the kits linked above include all the pads?

Sorry for being such a novice but just want to be sure I have everything I need when I get started.

Thanks

Jim

Old 05-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Vader... PAC is a great source but, in all honesty, the recently discovered autodetailingsolutions.com has some EXCELLENT deals on PC (Meguiar's labeled) kits. The Meguiar's G-100 (PC) comes with a lifetime warranty unlike the Porter Cable...

As for the pads with ADS's kits, if I was buying it, I'd ask that they substitute the 'Cutting Pad' for another 'Polishing Pad' as the cutting pad isn't made to be used with the PC. Also, depending on the kit, I'd make sure you have at least two polishing pads and two finishing pads.

Make sure you have several hand (foam or terry) pads on hand. You can snare these at your local 'mart' store. I'd recommend the Meguiar's Even-Coat Applicator (a microfiber applicator) or the High-Tech Applicator Pad (foam). You'll need these for the areas you can't address with the PC because of trim, glass, or other obstructions.

Your question about the bonnets and pads is a bit confusing... Let me try to clarify.

Pads will be used to apply the products, bonnets for removing. Generally speaking, I'll use an old, worn polishing pad and place a DF Towel Bonnet or Ultimate Bonnet over the pad and remove my last step product sometimes. More often though, I'll remove by hand. Further, I'd recommend removing abrasive polishes or cleaners by hand as they have no purpose to dry completely on the paint.

Different pads for each individual products is a must in my opinion. Polishing pads will be utilized when you are cleaning or polishing the paint. When applying wax, a finishing pad should be used. You'll want a few of each like I mentioned earlier. These will last a while if you take proper care of them.

Does that help a little? Let us know if you have any other questions!

RP

Old 05-21-2005, 10:36 PM
That's some good advice!

Old 05-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Rp,

Would you recommend their Polisher over the 7336? I can take it back no worries and order that one.

Thx for the reply by the way....

Old 05-21-2005, 11:07 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vader716
Rp,

Would you recommend their Polisher over the 7336? I can take it back no worries and order that one.

Thx for the reply by the way....
With the minimal difference in price, the added items with the kit, and the lifetime warranty... yeah, I'd go with the G-100...

If for nothing else, the lifetime warranty is worth something... These machines are designed to last a while but, not a lifetime. With that warranty, it'd sure be nice to send one in and have a new one shipped to your door. That's hard to beat. Plus, you know Meguiar's is going to be around for your lifetime...

RP

Quick Reply: Just purchased a DA Porter Cable 7336 - Which Pads