Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
I am fortunate enough to still be working part time(for now) since school let out and had some time to work on the truck today. I finally found some *9 and Mothers FX SynWax down at Manny, Moe, and Jacks' store (Pep boys) and got to work as soon as I got home. I used clean terry cloth towels to both put on and remove both products because the bottles suggested it. It appears that I have kicked some swirl mark butt. I am still unsure how much swirling I really removed, but from what I can tell, under direct sunlight, the holographic look over the paint is gone. I'll go park under a parking lot light once it gets dark to see what it looks like there. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Cool, did you just graduate?

Old 06-03-2005, 12:05 AM
Yep, just graduated. Its on to the real world now. I am planning on working full-time this summer and then going back to school and part-time work in the fall. Got to pay for this beast of a truck, you know

As far as the swirls, they seem 'under control' now. If you look for them under a parking lot light, you might be able to find some, but they don't jump out like before. It isn't perfection, but I have to keep in mind that the truck isn't brand new and I didn't pay for perfection. Pictures soon to follow....

Old 06-03-2005, 07:52 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to hear you're nearing happienss with it Brian. Be reminded that you can go with multiple applications of 9 and will probably achieve slightly better results each time; it's just a matter of how far you want to go with it.

But, if you do go back with 9, you'll have to rewax/sealant.

Look forward to seeing the pics and congrats on graduation! My class reunion is this weekend... ahh, reflections.

RP

Old 06-06-2005, 12:26 AM
OK, time to start complaining again. I thought I had the swirls licked, but no go. I went over the truck with two more coats of #9, then wax, and still nothing. Heck, I'm not so sure I didn't make it worse! I really don't think I did but I'm starting to wonder...

I'm thinking the next plan of attack is trying some kindo of fill glaze to fill in the swirls. Problem is, I have a good coat of wax on the paint now. How should I go about this next step from where I am now?

Old 06-06-2005, 12:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I spent this weekend launching an attack on the swirls and scratches I've got on my truck, so I'll offer what little insights I've learned.

I don't really think it's possible to get every swirl out, not without killing yourself and/or your paint. I haven't tried applying #9 by hand, but I know it works like a champ if applied via PC. Any kind of glaze or filler or whatever you'll apply will likely lay waste to the coat of wax you've got on there now, but you might have to make a repeat application of said product, since it's gotta fight it's way through your coat of wax first to get to the clearcoat and try to go to work on those swirls. I'm not a pro detailer by any stretch of the imagination, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express, but I'd try another pass with #9, maybe by power application if you can swing it, before stepping up to something a little more aggressive. "Use the least aggressive product you can to get the job done." I think #80 Speed Glaze is the next step up from #9 from Meguiars. Some pictures of what you're seeing would probably help those better in the know to determine your next course of action as well.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:37 AM
I was aiming towards trying a non-abrasive glaze to fill in the swirls. I know for sure that I'd have to re-wax once finished with the glaze, but my question is how do I safely remove the wax so the glaze can do it's work?

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks