Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Swirl Marks

Just bought my new (to me) F-150. The truck is 'dark wedgewood blue metallic.' Color looks very similar to the 'true blue' on the newer model trucks.

Anyway, the first weekend I had the truck I was out driving and went down a road that was coming apart in the 100 degree weather. The result was getting tar ALL OVER the truck. When I got home I got out the bug/tar remover and went to work. I sprayed the entire truck (one panel at a time) and started rubbing with a clean terry cloth towel. After I finished(which took quite a while) I washed the truck to remove the oily film left by the tar remover. I then proceeded to wax the truck with Mother's carnauba cleaner wax, which I have used before on previous vehicles. After all of this I was parked in a wal-mart parking lot the next night, and noticed swirl marks on the truck where the parking lot lights shone on it-seemingly more than before I spent all the time cleaning the truck. So my question is this: I've never owned a dark vehicle before. Do they require different wax techniques? Different wax? Is it possible I could have done this by waxing it? I did the whole thing by hand--no buffers. This puzzles me, as I have never had it happen before. And finally, what can I do to get rid of the swirl marks?

Thanks for the advice
Brian

Last edited by Brian 5.4; 06-01-2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi Brian...

There are oodles of possibilities but, odds are, the swirls may have already been there. Parking lot lights have a tendency to bring out the best and, unfortunately, the worst in a painted surface because of their lighting properties.

As for your swirls... they can probably be removed but, not seeing them poses a problem on giving advice. Can you take some pictures of what you have so that we can attempt to help out a bit?

A popular misconception is that swirls can't be introduced when working by hand. Swirls, you see, are very small scratches. These can be introduced to the paint in a variety of ways and just about anything that comes in contact with your paint can cause them.

Washing, in my opinion, is probably the worst. When using proper techniques to wash a vehicle, you're still going to have the risk of bringing them to the paint. It's an evil that is nearly impossible to avoid.

Another problematic time is quick detailing. I think that this is where I introduce the majority of the problems on my truck.

Long story short, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario... Your waxing technique, towels, etc may have caused the swirls but, there's no way to know for sure...We'll try to suggest a few products to you that can minimize swirling (nice microfiber etc) in some responses. Additionally, technique when washing or QD'ing is very important in reduction as well.

Can you get us some pics?

RP

Old 05-29-2005, 01:25 AM
Well, it has been raining all day and the truck was dirty so...

I went ahead and washed it (in the dark, no less. Good lighting in the driveway helps, though) , pulled it into the garage and waxed it again. This time, however, I used a different wax, new applicator pad, new terry cloth towels, and hoped for the best. It ended up turning out much better. I don't know if it was the wax, the technique, or what, but the best way to describe it is the paint looks 'deeper' and 'clearer.' The swirl marks were present not only directly where the light source(flashlight, etc) was pointed, but in the area surrounding giving a somewhat 'cloudy' look. The product I used this time was "liquid Glass." I had heard good things about it before, so I thought I'd give it a try. It wasn't cheap, though, but well worth the price for my peace of mind. The swirls aren't totally eliminated, but I think it is about as good as you can expect from a truck that is five years old with dark metallic paint. I'll still get some pictures up to show off the truck, though. Thanks for your comments though. You are right it is one of those situations where you are caught any which way you do it. Clean truck=more swirls that look bad. Dirty truck= a dirty truck that looks bad! I am pleased with the way it turned out, though.

I am not new to detailking my truck, just new to detailing a dark colored truck. White was so much easier!

Any recommended techniques, products, etc are very welcome for future reference.

Last edited by Brian 5.4; 05-29-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:43 AM
Hey Brian,

RP was right... something in your process created the swirls. My guess would be the Terry Cloth Towel and having to "rug" rather aggressively to remove the tar. Always be "gentle" with anything that touches your paint.

Also, with any dark colored paint, you must perfect your processes and select the finest tools to use in those processes... it's as simple as that.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
OK, I lied. I'm not happy with it. The sun came out for the first time ain a while and that magnifies the situation- a lot. When the sun shines directly on the paint, you can see swirls and what looks like vertaical swirl lines. I believe this is light reflecting off rows and rows of horizontal scratches, creating the look of vertical lines. Last time I waxed, the bottle said to go back and forth (not in circles) so I did. I am guessing that is waht the marks are from.

I need some info about what products to use and how to use them. This is like starting all over for me. I've never had this kind of problem, and it seems none of my prior knowledge applies here. Is there any kind of light swirl remover to get? How do I use it? And where can I get it? I just stopped by O'Reilly's on the way home from work and the closest thing they had was Scratch-X. I thought this was for small, concentrated areas? I need to do the whole truck. Also, I have been using regular old applicator pads and terry cloth towels to remove the wax/polish. Is this wrong? Should I be using something else? Thanks for the help.
Brian

Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I helped my dad with a burgundy colored truck and used Meguiar's #9 cleaner/polisher. We were applying by hand and it worked well.

If you are using a machine, you might try the #82 swirl free polish. I'd go this route before using something like Scratch-X.

Either way, you want to use a polish with some abrasive in it - the #9 won't be as aggresive as the machine polish.

Be sure to follow-up with a high quality wax.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I understand, Scratch-X is best used as a spot cleaner, it can be a pain in the *** to work with over the entire vehicle, especially a dark vehicle.

That being said, and take that with a grain of salt since I haven't tried none of this stuff on my truck yet, #9 2.0 Swirl Remover would probably be someplace to start. Use the least aggressive product you can get away with.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Brian 5.4 -- I wouldn't beat yourself up too much on your swirl marks. If you snoop around this forum a little bit you'll get a BIG education on how to address almost any paint malady. Chances are, if the truck was "new to you" the fellow that had it before you probably introduced a good number of the marks you are seeing.

Also, please keep in mind that there is a BIG difference between "waxing" a vehicle and "detailing" it! Any idiot with a bottle of Turtle Wax, a spare afternoon, and a 12-pack of Old Milwaukee can wax a car. But a true detailing "enthusiast" will use products and techniques (translated: A LITTLE BRAINS AND A LOT OF HARD WORK!) that Joe 12-Pack would never even consider!

Also, keep in mind that "detailing" is not just an occasional afternoon event -- but a "system" of products and techniques employed over the long haul that minimizes the damage inflicted on your paint and maximizes its appearance!

Read-up around this forum and I think you'll have your eyes opened to a whole new way of looking at "waxing" a vehicle!

Last edited by ddellwo; 06-01-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I have done some searching around and have read about Meguiars #9. Where can I get some? Also, what should I sue to apply and remove the product(I'll be doing it by hand). I have been usung a regular wax apllicator pad and terry cloth towels. Is this OK to use or am I causing more headaches with them.

Is this Meguiars #9 like a fill glaze type of product? Or is it more of a polishing compound. I am nervous about using anything like that due to its abrasive nature, and I really don't feel that the paint is in that bad of shape, it just needs some TLC. What puzzles me the most is that in moderate sunlight the paint looks show-perfect. It is uber-reflective and has a deep, wet look. It is only when the sun really comes out that swirl marks down the whole truck become obvious.

Can I get these kind of products at a paint/body shop?

Old 06-01-2005, 10:18 PM

One of the more knowledgable ones can give you a better description of what #9 is exactly, but sometimes you can find it at your local AutopepadvanceboysZone. I ordered some from Auto Detailing Solutions with my G100 polisher kit.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:29 PM
I found this on a website selling #9:

Whether you’re noticing the very first tiny swirl marks on your newer car or you’re dealing with swirls that seem to have been etched into the surface of an older vehicle, Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover can help you undo the damage. The experts at Meguiar’s have over 100 years of detailing knowledge to draw upon, so it’s not at all surprising they would create an easy-to-use product to address problematic swirls. This is the ultimate two-in-one! The powerful cleaner/polisher in #9 Swirl Remover pulls up dirt and grime and reduces the appearance of swirl marks and minor scratches.

Meguiar’s intended #9 Swirl Remover to be highly effective, yet so easy to use that anyone, from a detailing newbie to a professional detailer, can achieve equally impressive results. #9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive and safe for all paints, including clear coats. You can choose your favorite method of application: Hand rubbing, orbital buffer, or dual action polisher! The results speak for themselves—high-gloss finish with a newly-painted luster that grabs the eye and commands attention. That finish is exactly why #9 Swirl Remover is so popular with professional detailers and motoring hobbyists.

Meguiar’s #9 Swirl Remover is so effective because the cleaner ingredients blast sediments out of the defects and off of the paint as the polishing emollients round over the hard edges of swirls or scratches and literally fill-in the damage. Swirls are visible because light catches on the hard edges. When the edges are rounded over and filled, light is refracted away from the scratch or swirl. You can’t see what light can’t catch--problem solved! It’s that easy!

Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Brian 5.4:

From Meguiar's website....
This amazing product will carefully eliminate those annoying problems-whether applied by hand, or using a machine buffer/polisher. While Swirl Remover is gently cleaning, it's also polishing, leaving a dramatic, high-gloss shine.
You can buy it direct from Meguiar's.

Don't be afraid of using a polish because it is 'abrasive'.... all the Meg's polishes contain diminishing abrasives that continually break down on your clearcoat, so you will know how much time to spend applying it and when to remove it. It becomes clear-like and non-cloudy like when it should be removed. I myself haven't used #9, but I think I know why you still see swirls. I would try applying a few more coats of #9 by hand, and if that doesn't work, try the application with the machine polisher. I know you said you wanted to stick with a light polish, but I have had very good results with #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish... which is here. You won't be harming your paint by using the polishes, just, well, make sure it has a clearcoat

Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Brian 5.4

#9 Swirl Remover is completely non-abrasive

I thought all Meg's polishes had some sort of abrasive agent?

Old 06-01-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm no expert, that is just a writeup I found on an online-store that sold the stuff. Is It only available direct through Meguiars? I was hoping to find some at a local parts store or paint/body shop.

I haven't heard much around here about 3M's products, such as swirl remover 39109 or 39009. Do these also work well?

Also, should I pick up some microfiber towels and special applicator pads, or will the terry cloth towels work alright?

When it comes time to apply the stuff, should I do so in a circular motion, back and forth, etc?

Last edited by Brian 5.4; 06-01-2005 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 5.4
I'm no expert, that is just a writeup I found on an online-store that sold the stuff. Is It only available direct through Meguiars? I was hoping to find some at a local parts store or paint/body shop.

I haven't heard much around here about 3M's products, such as swirl remover 39109 or 39009. Do these also work well?

Also, should I pick up some microfiber towels and special applicator pads, or will the terry cloth towels work alright?

When it comes time to apply the stuff, should I do so in a circular motion, back and forth, etc?
Try hitting up your local parts stores before the 'net.

I'm not sure of the 3M products; hell, I'm not sure of the Meguiar's products. I don't have the detailing experience that others that frequent this forum do; they should be along shortly to point you in a better direction than I can. I'm gonna use my truck as a guinea pig with all this stuff soon, with a lot of pictures for a how-to.

Microfiber works fine as an applicator and remover. The terry clothes are okay, but microfiber = mo betta.

Whenever I applied something by hand to my (black) truck, I applied in a circular motion and removed back and forth.

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks