My first Weekend detailing!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the positive comments. I feel good seeing all the work was worth it. I still have some swirls on the hood if the sun hits it just right but I'll wait about 6 months and hit it with #9 again for good measure.

Hey 5.4, my wife argue's with me and says I actually spent 14 hours working on the truck. (She knows I got up at 4:30 on Sat&Sun to work on it ) Any amount of time spent beautifying is never wasted. I had a 93 Old Achieva I still spent about 6 hours one weekend a month doing a similar process until I donated it to the church. Of course it was an aqua and much easier to keep up.

BTW, I picked up the #9 at my local Pep boys. They usually carry a little more than the Autozone in that respect.

Old 06-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.4crew
Now I want to know about #9? What is it and where do I get some?
Hey 5.4...

Just FYI in addition to the information that FL has already provided...

It has been my experience that the AutoZones and Pep Boys in this immediate area carry #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and thus, you may not have to order it.

Also, I'd encourage you to utilize Meguiar's Online Dealer Locater to assist with finding what you need.

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

RP

Old 06-01-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions and support guys, I feel much better now.

I'll look around for the #2 locally before I order it.....

FL, no I'm not a member of any Focus forums. It's actually up for sale now. We bought it for my wife originally but I have fun driving it. It has the Z-Tec engine in it but it's a dogamatic SE 4-door. I was really suprised at the power the little thing has and it handles really well for what it is.....I'd almost like to mod it up with all the cool stuff they have for em and take it racing.

Have you seen the v8 rear wheel drive kits for them? That would be one screamin ride!

Jeff

Old 06-01-2005, 07:52 PM
Hey y2kstratus

VERY nice job on your truck there, it looks soooo good. I want to do the same for my truck

Problem is, I just bought it, and am new to these forums.. and I have NO idea how you made it like that, and what products do what or anything! Any and all information is much appreciated! My parents want to do the same thing to their truck too. Please let us know how you did that!

I have a '98 F150 XLT, teal colored with a black stripe along the bottom of the vehicle

Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 PM
Have you seen the v8 rear wheel drive kits for them? That would be one screamin ride!

Jeff
Yes, that would be!! Would be a nice little sleeper...

Old 06-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Moderator &

I'll look around for the #2 locally before I order it....
You mean #9?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Durew,

I followed the advice of RP and Boss 429

1. I washed first with the Meguiars gold class wash
2. I used a clay bar with lots of lube on the whole truck.
3. I then used #9 Swirl remover 2 (M-0916 ) (found at local Pep boys or www.meguiars.com) with an orbital buffer on the whole truck. I didn't press down on the buffer and I think that doing so may actually cause swirls.
4. I removed the #9 with a microfiber towel found just about anywhere (Don't use turtle wax brand - waay too much lint). But I am definitely going to order some of the best in the world (DF towel)http://www.dftowel.com/ordertowels.html

5. I then put Meguiars NXT tech wax on by hand and removed by hand.

I spent about 14 hours total on the whole process and it was well worth it

The following links will provide a wealth of information as well as a search on the key works Meguairs and detailing. The 2nd link is the one to the detailing section.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=196166
https://www.f150online.com/forums/care-detailing-22/

Good luck and don't forget to post before and after pics.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Awesome thanks man, that was exactly the information I was looking for.

One more thing, how much upkeep does a shine like that take? Do you have to just wash it regularly to get the shine back, or do you regularly do that whole process?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Usually the shine still stays,, washing helps remove the dirt and stuff that keeps it from shining, but like right after polishing and waxing, the shine is at its peak.

Old 06-01-2005, 11:06 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Durew
One more thing, how much upkeep does a shine like that take? Do you have to just wash it regularly to get the shine back, or do you regularly do that whole process?
Durew:

The shine will be there for oodles of washes to come but it is critical that you make sure to properly dilute your car wash shampoo. Further, utilize a quality product by one of the 'major' car care providers (or some of the smaller, reputable ones) to wash your vehicles.

After time, anything will dull slowly but, using correct procedures, proper dilution ratios, good products, and by providing good maintenance (washing, quik detailing, etc.), your freshly waxed finish will last for months to come.

RP

Old 06-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
You mean #9?
Ooopps! Did I say #2?

Yes #9 is what I meant to say.....

Thanks

Old 06-01-2005, 11:48 PM
Moderator &

Ooopps! Did I say #2?

Yes #9 is what I meant to say.....

Thanks

NP... just making sure. #2 is Fine Cut Cleaner (which I think was recently discontinued but I can't remember). #2 might be a good choice but, it's going to be tough to find if they don't make it any longer.

Quick Reply: My first Weekend detailing!!