Scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing - Your days are numbered.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watch out for wild turkeys!!!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
Yeowch...

Let me know if you need anything Quintin...
You're scaring me with the tone of that, RP...

Old 06-02-2005, 10:38 PM
I think you're looking at the killer deal from autodetailingsolutions.com

RP
Head'n over there before I close the lid on the laptop... Thanks!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
You're scaring me with the tone of that, RP...
No worries. Just don't expect miracles with a PC.

You can, certainly, make it better. Elimination is going to be an uphill battle. You been using 120 grit as a wash mitt man? LOL!

Old 06-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Quintin,

The pictures sure look as if you have your work cut out for you... have you tried a small area with the plan you laid out in an earlier post to see what you are up against?

It might help RP and others give you better guidance - your plan looked pretty safe and not too aggressive to start.

Just a thought...

Old 06-02-2005, 10:55 PM

No worries. Just don't expect miracles with a PC.

You can, certainly, make it better. Elimination is going to be an uphill battle. You been using 120 grit as a wash mitt man? LOL!
You mean I'm not supposed to use the wash pad from the sink after I finish washing dishes...?

I admit it, I was halfassed when it came to washing, but all those swirls and spiderwebbing is pissing me off. So, never no more. I know the PC can only do so much; worse come to worse, I ain't really got a problem paying someone better in the know with the proper equipment to do it right (emphasis on the "right" part...people I work with will tell you I can destroy an anvil with a rubber mallet and some harsh language...), but in the meantime, I'm gonna try to do what I can myself and go from there.

Old 06-02-2005, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by 2005-Ford-KR
Quintin,

The pictures sure look as if you have your work cut out for you... have you tried a small area with the plan you laid out in an earlier post to see what you are up against?

It might help RP and others give you better guidance - your plan looked pretty safe and not too aggressive to start.

Just a thought...
I'm gonna use my tailgate as a guinea pig for this stuff before moving onward to the rest of the truck, since it's in the worst condition. That and since I'm lacking in shade, I could always take the tailgate off and work on it in my workshop in ideal conditions to see what happens first. I'm not necessarily looking for a show queen, but I'm not wanting to drive a rolling brick full of scratches either.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Moderator &

Well, like I said man, if you need me, you know how to find me.

It's the least I can do after your incredible disassemble and photo session of the Expy pillars vs. the F-150 pillars for me.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:04 PM

Well, like I said man, if you need me, you know how to find me.

It's the least I can do after your incredible disassemble and photo session of the Expy pillars vs. the F-150 pillars for me.
The A-pillar thing wasn't no big deal. Just sucks that it wouldn't work in an F150.

The rain is supposed to let up around here by this weekend though, after my match Saturday morning, I think I'm gonna wash and see where I stand. I'll take a bunch of pics, to better me from the opinions of others and as information for guys who might want to try to fix some of the stuff that they might have on their trucks too.

Stay tuned.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:30 PM
If it's one thing that has taught me as a detailer,,,,

if you are having trouble removing swirls, don't let that aggrevate you. Let it motivate you... look at it as a self-educated project. My heart just PUMPS looking at those swirls in your truck.... the badder the better, baby!

Okay call me crazy.

Old 06-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quintin,

Looks like you got some work ahead of you. Good luck man.

Old 06-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Quintin,

I have DACP if you see #9 is not working to your satisfaction. I buy it by the gallon so I can give you a good amount if you can bring me something to put it in. I plan on bringing my truck in during the next week or so to get rid of the leaking brake light and the squeaking fan belt so if you want some I can bring it in then.

Gary

Old 06-03-2005, 09:44 AM

Gary, I sure would appreciate it. I can go ahead and get you a serpentine belt and the third brake light ordered today so we'll be able to get you in and out in the same day.

Edit again - Don't worry about the miles, I got your stuff coming. Just see Laquita whenever you show up.

Last edited by Quintin; 06-03-2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Moderator &

DACP is a great product but, I've had troubles with it on black and, also working with it by PC...

While it may be user error, I just don't think DACP breaks down well enough with a PC to be totally effective. I have always found myself following with a #9 or #80 to correct micromarring introduced (especially on black). If you try it, use it EXCEEDINGLY slow... and I mean all-day slow.

RP

Old 06-03-2005, 04:35 PM

RP, using the idea of "least aggressive product possible," should I go for multiple applications of #9 for starters? I've got some #80 too...any other products you'd recommend? Since the tailgate is a relatively small area and I can work on it in the shade in ideal conditions, I considered giving DACP a shot.

Last edited by Quintin; 06-03-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing - Your days are numbered.