Scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing - Your days are numbered.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where are you located Quintin? State?
#9 and #80 are VERY similar products but, the #80 will stay moist longer thus enabling you to work it longer (this is especially good if you're in a dry atmosphere). #9 won't dry lickity-split but, it may be a bit more difficult to work with in dryer air.

RP

Old 06-03-2005, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What did that set you back?

Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RockPick
#9 and #80 are VERY similar products but, the #80 will stay moist longer thus enabling you to work it longer (this is especially good if you're in a dry atmosphere). #9 won't dry lickity-split but, it may be a bit more difficult to work with in dryer air.

RP
I'm in rainy, dreary, hot and humid southern Georgia, RP, I can throw a rock and hit Ft. Benning from my front porch. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

Old 06-03-2005, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by jamzwayne
What did that set you back?
What, the whole outfit? PC and all?

The G100/PC kit I bought from Auto Detailing Solutions: http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...20Specials.htm

Looks like it's changed a little, now you get two polishing pads and two finishing pads and the Meguiar's banner; I got one each, a polishing pad, a finishing pad, and a cutting pad. I got the #2 kit for $219.95, and that's with the lifetime warranty on the G100.

I added some chemicals and stuff, like the #9, #16, #26, #34, and #80, grit guards, a wash mitt, and another velcro backing pad, some from Auto Detailing Solutions, some from Superiorcarcare.net. Everything said and done, I've got a little over $300 tied up in everything you see there.

Last edited by Quintin; 06-03-2005 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added details about the PC kit
Old 06-03-2005, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
I'm in rainy, dreary, hot and humid southern Georgia, RP, I can throw a rock and hit Ft. Benning from my front porch. Well, not really, but you get the idea.

ditto...

Old 06-03-2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ford Lariat
ditto...
You in Gawga, FL? How about this week...what a lousy and miserable one. Damn rain just won't stop. Supposedly it'll be rolling out tomorrow, I hope it will anyways.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
You in Gawga, FL? How about this week...what a lousy and miserable one. Damn rain just won't stop. Supposedly it'll be rolling out tomorrow, I hope it will anyways.

It's got a 30-40% chance of rain all this weekend and all next week too. Hardly seen any rain though,, had some tonight and lastnight but that was it.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Arrrggghh....I've got this three inch long by almost an inch wide scratch and swirl mark on my new F150. I'll be d*%#ed if it wasn't already there when I bought it, but since I checked it out after being delivered inside the service bay where the light wasn't so good....I'm kinda screwed on expecting the dealership to do anything about it. Just feeling it with my fingertip...it's fairly deep...not down to the metal, but I'm doubting it will buff out after waxing it

Old 06-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kind of a good rule of thumb is if you can feel it with your fingernail, it's not going to come out.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:09 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I think you're looking at the killer deal from autodetailingsolutions.com

RP

Hey RockPick:

In looking at the different G100 packages they have put together, which one do you think is the best bet for someone who has been detailing vehicles by hand for awhile, but has never made the "leap" to a machine?

In looking at some of the packages, it seems like they are more of a sampler of different Meguiar's products than they are a "polisher-specific" package (?). I don't need a lot of fluff -- I just want to make the step into a machine-based detailing program.

Any advice?

d

Old 06-04-2005, 03:54 PM

RP
Oh yeah, another thing RP, do I need to use some kind of paint cleaner prior to #9? I've read before (from Boss, I think) to clean when you see water spots, polish when you see swirls. What exactly does #9 function as in this regard? Cleaner? Polish? Both?

Old 06-04-2005, 09:42 PM

Well, I did it.

A page back or so, you'll see the befores. Here's an after of my tailgate:

Clayed with #34 and a Clay Magic bar, #9 on the PC with the polishing pad at speed 3, thin coat of #26 by hand.

I did the hood too, but ran out of daylight. I'll get some good pictures of it tomorrow morning, I think it turned out really good too. One note about the PC - This thing should be standard for people with dark colored trucks. It's stupidly simple to use and saves a lot of arm work. I shoulda bought one of these things a looooooong time ago.

Edit - I wasn't exactly sure how long to work the #9 either. I think I spent maybe 3-5 minutes tops on each section with it. Maybe another application worked in a bit longer might yield better results. There's still swirls in the tailgate, they're just no where near as obvious as they were before.

Last edited by Quintin; 06-04-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Those are some nice reflections, Q, keep up the good shining I bet it feels smooth as glass, huh?

Old 06-05-2005, 09:52 AM

Thankee, it came out real good. Just washing and claying made a big difference I think, the piece of Clay Magic I used started off blue and was brown by the time I was done with just the hood and tailgate. Speaking of the hood...

Old 06-05-2005, 09:54 AM

And the tailgate...

Quick Reply: Scratches, swirls, and spiderwebbing - Your days are numbered.