What to clean and polish "machined polished" rims with?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to clean and polish "machined polished" rims with?

If i could go back I would probably have opted for chrome instead of machined polished. But my rims are still pretty easy to keep nice and shiny just by washing them with regular soap.

My question is, what do you guys use or recommend using on these rims for the harder to get off stuff? What kind of cleaner and applicator?

And also what should I polish them with if I feel that frisky? I've heard not to use chrome cleaner, it can really mess up the machined polished rims.
I have some all metal cleaner that comes in a tin can and is like a moth ball with some type of cleaner soaked into it. Ive tried it but since my rims are still only about 6months old didnt make a whole lot of difference between them and the regularly washed rims.

Thanks in advance to all you detailers. You guys have way more patience than I am.

Last edited by ruffn-it; 06-13-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Old 06-13-2005, 10:30 PM

Yea thats the stuff I bought, but havnt really used it. But your rims look a lot better since that stuff. How long have you had your machined polished rims?

Old 06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I guess I've had mine for a year know. I never polished them until last week but the stuff is so easy to use that I will probably do it just about every time I was my truck now.

Old 06-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From my experience, one thing that makes a ton of difference in how well your "polished" rims will come out is exactly what kind of finish you actually have. For instance, Sherm's rims (and my old rims) appear to be true polished aluminum. (Think "smooth / shiny" surface.) That's a very different finish than something like a "diamond turned" finish - which basically leaves tool marks on the surface. (Think "very consistent / but somewhat rougher" finish.) Every time I've tried to polish that kind of surface with my buffer and favorite polish (Wenol), I've gotten less than stellar results. Why? Because I didn't have a truly smooth surface to work on. I ended up trying to buff out the tool marks - which takes a heck of a lot more effort than starting with a smooth surface.

By the way Sherm, did you use a buffer of the old "hand polish with a rag" method? By taking the wheels off of my old truck and using a buffer, I got MUCH better results.

Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 AM

So what would you consider "machined polished", aluminum?

What kind of buffer do you use to fit in a rim? Its also a pain in the **** to take off my tires each time I want to polish them, I would only do that when it is really needed every now and then.

Old 06-15-2005, 06:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Machined" is the surface you get right off the CNC machine that cuts the wheel. A good example of a "machined" wheel is the optional "machined & painted" wheels for the XLT. The bright aluminum surfaces on those wheels are just as they were when they came off the machining center - except that they've added paint (argent color) and clear coat. A "polished" surface is where somebody has taken a wheel off the machining center and used a buffing wheel and various compounds to, well, polish it.

When I had polished aluminum wheels on my last 3 trucks, I used my Dewalt buffer with foam pads. I removed the wheels from the truck and laid them flat on the ground. I'd then work my way around the wheel with the buffer and Wenol polish. (Wenol just happened to give me the best shine.) The reason I used a buffer was that hand polishing seemed to leave an inconsistent finish - and took forever. The buffer not only reduced the time required (even when factoring in wheel removal), but gave me a dazzling shine.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Sounds like im going to have to get me a buffer. Thanks

Old 06-17-2005, 12:34 AM
I did mine by hand. I wish I had a buffer.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:25 AM
http://www.metalwax.com/

Try it...you'll like it.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:31 PM
I hate my polished rims! Major PITA, but thru trials and tribulations I've found that Meguiars (the new Tech line) works great followed by Semichrome and Wenol. I just use my hands and lots of rags. I have found that if I just quick polish them once every two weeks or more, they are easier to upkeep.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:49 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey BA... you refering to NXT All Metal Polysh?

Old 06-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Rockpick-you mean the Meguiars right? Yea, it's their new stuff, purple/green label out of the Tech line. That seems to be the only thing to make my alum shine like chrome.

Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 PM
simple ole polishing compund - .99 cents at walmart....

Quick Reply: What to clean and polish "machined polished" rims with?