Getting wax off of plastic trim.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Getting wax off of plastic trim.

Last night, I guess I was a little tired, but was applying a coat of NXT to the hood and the chrome trim around the grille. Without thinking, I just wiped it on and then realized I had gotten it all over the dark grey plastic grille insert (I have an XL trim). I waited until it had hazed well, and then wiped the wax off as best I could. Of course the hood and the chrome trim looked wonderful, but the white wax on the grey insert looked terrible.

I tried remembering all the remedies I had read here, and couldn't decide which to use. Then I remembered I had a bottle of the alcohol additive they use in gasoline when they make gasohol. I dampened a paper towel with this stuff and wiped it on a small spot where I had gotten some wax on the panel between the hood and the windshield. The wax came right off! I then applied it to the grille and had the same results!

Now, I don't think I'd try using anything really strong like rubbing alcohol, but the stuff I used is simply corn liquor that has crap in it so we can't drink it. I know this product is not easily available every where. You can try to find someone in your area who delivers gasoline to the the gas stations, they may be able to come up with some for you. Or, you could try a shot of Jim Beam or the like. Just don't get the towel so wet that it drips or runs. Just a little more than damp.

Worked for me!

Flagship

Old 06-21-2005, 12:24 AM
There are a few tricks out there, but don't ever fall for the peanut butter one. The oils hide the wax residue until the next rain!

The easiest, simplest, most efficient way to remove wax on trim is Mr. Clean magic eraser. Just wipe it off like you would wax on paint.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:48 AM
Be very careful when using the M.E. though. Test it on an unconspicuous spot, and wait 24 hours before you use it on a large area, just ask dzervit...

Old 06-21-2005, 07:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I used to recommend the Mr.C ME but, after DZ's stint as the crash test dummy for painting door handles (because he had to), I don't any longer.

A co-worker here in the office that is a 05' SCAB owner found that rubbing alcohol removed his over smear.

RP

Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 AM
In case your wondering, this is what can happen if you don't test the Mr. Bastard Not-so-Magic Eraser first and just start scrubbing:

Old 06-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Yeah that peanut butter thing is one of those cruel jokes I fell for.

The best trick that I have ever learned is a pencil eraser, it works wonders.

- Chris

Old 06-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
deservit,

You really need to allow your inner most feelings to flow out. I get the feeling that you're hiding something here. Was it something with erasers or maybe Mr. Clean in your childhood? Too bad you had to experience so the rest of us could learn!

Old 06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
3stoked,

I hate Mr. %*#( Clean now. I wish to see him in a dark alley someday. That bald-headed freak is going down. How's that for inner feelings?

Old 06-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Atleast the wax came off. The best method to not to get wax on anything except paint, but we all have accidents.

PB's Trim Restorer would beautify that handle or any other grained plastic for that matter. It's lasts a good while and never has streaked.

Quick Reply: Getting wax off of plastic trim.