Newb detail

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newb detail

Can someone please provide a little info on the steps and products needed to get a great wax finish on my '04 F150 4x4 SCrew Lariat? Here are some products that I've looked into:

Gold Class Rich Leather Aloe Cleaner & Conditioner
Quik Clay Detailing System
NXT Generation Tire Cleaner
NXT Generation Car Wash
NXT Generation Tech Wax
NXT Generation Spray Wax
NXT Generation Tech Protect
NXT Generation All Metal Polysh
NXT Generation Insane Shine Tire Spray
Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush
Versa-Angle Body Brush
Supreme Shine Microfiber
Mircofiber Super Suede Drying Towel
Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt

Problem is that I don't know where start. I don't have a polisher handy so everything will have to be done by hand. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2005, 09:32 AM
I'll take a quick stab at this. Look at Meguiar's website and look around there. I found this one link for you to look at:
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=142
Also, search this forum and see what others are doing. A lot depends on the condition of your current vehicle also. I assume that since it is a 2004 it is in fairly good condition. There is a bunch of information on this website and Meguiar's. Take some time and look it over.

I hope this helps some. There are others that are the masters of detailing that might give some more input.

Kevin

Old 06-19-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have any pics of your truck?

What condition is your truck in, any scratches or swirls?

What are your goals for it?

Old 06-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Do you have any pics of your truck?

What condition is your truck in, any scratches or swirls?

What are your goals for it?
What kind of pics do you need? No scratches or swirls. I just want my truck to have a showroom shine like it did when I bought it. I also want to create a protective layer for the harsh summer sun here in Texas. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 PM
I would recommend wash, clay, paint cleaner, polish, and wax. I use Meguiar's Gold Class wash, Meguiar's Clay kit, and since it doesn't seem you need a buffer maybe you would want to try Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner step 1. Polish with Deep Crystal Polish step 2. You could try Deep Crystal Wax step 3 or another quality wax. A lot of this depends on your own preferences. I have used step 3 wax, #26 wax, #16 wax (no longer available) and NXT wax in paste and liquid on different vehicles and all look very good. I think the important thing is to find something you like and use it often. I think that is Meguiar's phrase. I like using #26 wax and top with #16 but it is just a personal preference.

All the other products for tires and interior are very good. I think the tire gel is better than the other tire dressing IMO.

I hope this helps!

Kevin

Last edited by khindal; 06-19-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:54 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have no scratches/swirls (first, I'd like you to work on my vehicles).... I'd simply go with a decent synthetic wax (to compete with harsh temps and conditions) like NXT Tech Wax (which you mentioned) (two coats, 12 hours apart).... That's going to provide a very good 'top layer' of defense against your conditions. Also, if you have a dark colored paint, I'd recommend topping it with a carnauba based wax like Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (aka: #26) to really darken the paint.

Beyond that, what you've listed are 'helper' products in my opinion.

I've never found a spray wax that I liked. This includes NXT Spray Wax. While it's a schnazzy idea by theory, it just doesn't work well and only provides, IMO, about half of the protection as a regular coat of wax would provide. For this reason, I don't use it and apply a full coat of wax when I need it. It's just about the same amount of time. I wouldn't look for this product to 'survive' honestly.

I like the other NXT products but, still stand by that there are better products. For example, I still like Gold Class Shampoo better than NXT shampoo. Both are fine but, for me GC seems to be a better quality, more lubrication type of product. Tech Protectant doesn't hold a match to Vinylex IMO... or Meguiar's #40. Insane Tire Spray will never be in my arsenal because of chemical content (hexane).

I like the wheel brush, tire brush, and ..shine MF towels from Meguiar's. I'll never use a 'body brush' but, that's just me...

The Meguiar's wash mitt is VERY linty and thus, I prefer a SW Arnold 100% sheepskin mitt. They're the best that I've used... and, again, this is all opinion. Quick Clay and Rich Aloe Leather products are both very solid, tried and true, products. I have all of them and use them often on client vehicles (and my own).

Hmm, I've rambled on enough about products there. Again though, that is my opinion about the aforementioned products... I've used all of them that you've mentioned with the exception of INSANE because of my listed reason and the NXT Tire Cleaner (just haven't managed to get a paw on this stuff).

You mention that you want to keep your vehicle in showroom condition. To accomplish this I suggest that you not focus as much on products but more so on your technique, procedures, and the level of common sense that it takes to keep the vehicle in good condition. I say this not as an insult but more of a suggestion because there are loads of great products out there on the market. Meguiar's is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the vast array of stuff on the market.

Technique, coupled with a lousy product, will almost always yield a good result.

With that in mind, here are a few hints....

Always wash from the top downward. Avoid 'grimy areas' like wells and tires with the wash mitt that you're utilizing on your paint. Use dedicated mitts and sponges for wheels, wells, flare lips, boards, etc. Don't mix these sponges with your regular wash water/solution until the very end. Don't allow them to contaminate your mitts that you'd use on paint. Always mix to the correct dilution ratios (too much will strip wax etc). Utilize the two-bucket wash system. Change your water often. Drying should be done with the least amount of pressure possible. If you have the opportunity, use a leaf blower or similar to dry your vehicle. Let the towel do the work when drying. Dress your tires BEFORE you dry your vehicle (overspray can be removed quickly and easily). Never wash in direct sunlight and always dry immediately after washing to avoid spotting on the paint and glass.

This list could go on for hours.... but, one thing you'll note about everything above, they're almost all 'common sense' things when you really think about it. For example, you wouldn't want to wash an area around your tires and then run that same sponge across your hood. Why? Because you probably just picked up a boatload of 'grit' that could potentially scratch and swirl (synonyms) your hood. The same is true about your wash solution... you wouldn't want to put that same sponge in with the sponge that you just washed your hood with because of the exact same outcome (maybe the next time you wash though).

I hope some of that makes some sense... I know it's a long ramble but, there's some decent info in there...

Feel free to email or post back if you have other questions. You've listed some good products to check into... you won't go wrong with any of them as long as you have the techniques and procedures (and a lot of common sense) ready to roll.

RP

Old 06-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Rockpick is the MASTER! Nuff said.

Kevin

Old 06-20-2005, 08:05 AM
What order should these products be applied?

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
NXT Generation Tech Wax
Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

What kind of towel or pad should be used to hand buff the wax? Thanks.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by jrack04
What order should these products be applied?

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner
NXT Generation Tech Wax
Hi-Tech Yellow Wax

What kind of towel or pad should be used to hand buff the wax? Thanks.

Wash with GC... Clay... (some like to wash again here)...NXT (wait 12 hours)...NXT (wait 12 hours)... Hi-Tech Yellow (#26).

Old 06-20-2005, 09:18 AM
Why type of towel do you recommend to apply and remove the wax? Also, what type of drying towel do you recommed?

Old 06-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Moderator &

Application... I'd recommend a foam or terry applicator pad. If your paint is perfect (as you've described), I'd probably go with foam as I think it has a little less cut to it versus the terry.

Removing, I'd go with the Supreme Shine MF towel that you mentioned in your first post. This towel really is a good towel for the money.

As for drying, I've never liked chamois products because they don't have enough nap to them to provide adequate space for a grain of grit to become entrained in the towel and thus, you end up dragging that scratch inducing grit across your paint. Sure, this can happen with anything that you use on your paint but, it's less likely with a nice waffle-weave microfiber drying towel or a ultra-plush 100% cotton bath towel (I prefer ww).

RP

Old 06-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Great thanks for the reply. One more question: What do you think of the following two products for wheels and tires?

Meguiar’s Hi-Tech Wheel Cleaner M-3616
Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss G-7516

Old 06-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by jrack04
Great thanks for the reply. One more question: What do you think of the following two products for wheels and tires?

Meguiar’s Hi-Tech Wheel Cleaner M-3616
Meguiar's Gold Class Endurance High Gloss G-7516
I've seen M-36 but don't know much about it. I've never tried it... I've never been much on any of the wheel cleaner/brightener products that I've tried and thus, I don't even bother with them any more. I always found that, no matter what product I tried, I was always back down at the wheel working on it by hand. All in all, I've found that, no matter the wheel chemical, elbow grease beats all of them hands down.

Endurance is great stuff. I use it regularly. Apply with an Eagle One Tire Swipe for a nice even appearance.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang RP you took all the work out of my reply.

Good luck jrack04.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:24 AM
Here is my current shopping cart. RockPick, thanks for all your help.

Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner G-7101
Quik Clay Detailing System G-1116
NXT Tech Wax G-12718
Hi-Tech Yellow Wax M-2616
Gold Class Endurance High Gloss G-7516
Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner & Conditioner G-1102
Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner M-4016
Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt X-3000
Versa-Angle Tire Brush X-1010
Supreme Shine Microfiber Towel X-2020
Super Suede Drying Cloth X-2070
Even Coat Applicator X-3080
Eagle One Tire Swipes

What would I need to add to this list if I planned to work some magic on my wife's black 1998 Toyota Camery, which has never seen any TLC. It has swirls and scratches pretty much all over. I know I'm not a miracle worker but my goal is to make it look like new. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Newb detail