Sunday detail-a-thon. The Bad Part...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunday detail-a-thon. The Bad Part...

So while on my detail extravaganza, I noticed some serious issues on my roof... huge (well, not really, but big enough) paint chips... looks like a trip to the deal for me! AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Old 06-19-2005, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That hurts.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 06-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With the size of those pictures, it looks like your roof is falling apart...how big are the chips?

Looks nasty in any case.

Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Moderator &

LOL! I thought so too Quintin but, then I realized that he just must be a digital photography ace.

Actually, those are all 'rockpick' marks from a bad day in the field. I just started lashing out at the first vehicle that I saw...

It doesn't take but one or two swings from one of these:

to yeild results like this:

RP

Old 06-20-2005, 08:21 AM
Yeah, I thought about do-it-yourself. But it's clearly a paint defect... aren't paint defects covered under warrenty? Both flaws are in the channels on the roof, near the side. No way something scraped or hit it. Plus the second shot that RP implied got wacked with some sort of weapon clearly shows the rest is gonna chip off, and it looks like a bonding issue with the paint. I guess I'll see what the dealer says. It would be a do-it-yourself job. Good think I still have all my matched paint from my door handle debockle.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Moderator &

Yep... I was going to mention that you already had the paint on hand so it probably wouldn't be an issue but, I refrained from saying that.

Best of luck with your stealership. That's always a hassle but, if they handle it, it'll probably be worth it...

BTW, the LT handles look good on your truck!... Real good.

RP

Old 06-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin
With the size of those pictures, it looks like your roof is falling apart...how big are the chips?

Looks nasty in any case.
Ah, the wonders of macro photography. Those are real close shots to show the detail... in reality the round one could be covered with a dime and room to spare, and the long thin one isn't even a ½ inch long.

Funny how many particles are in the paint, huh?

Old 06-20-2005, 09:37 AM
that looks to be where the sealer did not cure all the way or it did not mix all the way when ford put the truck together and they will have to repaint the roof to get it to blend in

Old 06-20-2005, 12:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Deservit,

First of all, congratulations on the molecular level pictures. I must say that I’ve never seen that level of detail in a post before. Second, thanks for clarifying the actual size of the chips. Before that clarification I was thinking that you somehow had a Ford factory paint job with 1970’s bass boat levels of metal flake in it. The detailed photos also prove that Brad was using a digital (as opposed to the much less accurate analog) pick to inflict the damage.

As for the actual damage, it appears that you have a bonding failure between the primer and the basecoat / clearcoat system. The good news is that it’s on your roof. Unless you’re related to the Jolly Green Giant, both the damage and the repair will be fairly invisible. The other good news is that it should be covered under warranty.

On thing you might want to do first is check out how good your dealer’s body shop is. Remember, you have the right to have any dealer do the work. Another hint if you don’t find a dealer who does good enough work – find one without a body shop. Then you get to have them sub the work out to the shop of your choice. Good luck!

Old 06-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Moderator &

LOL! Digital rockpick. I had to use polarized light microscopy to obtain that level of precision as well.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:46 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I think those chips are attributable to "over-detailing" the vehicle...

Old 06-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Sorry D, I kinda got hungry...

My first reaction was WHAT?! Did you get hit by a hailstorm or something?

Could a Ford warranty be valid at a GM or Chevy dealer? Could they do work on your Ford vehicle?

edit: What kind of camera is that, D?

Last edited by Ford Lariat; 06-20-2005 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford Lariat

Could a Ford warranty be valid at a GM or Chevy dealer? Could they do work on your Ford vehicle?
Nope, Fords can only be serviced under warranty at your friendly neighborhood Ford and/or Lincoln-Mercury dealer. I've seen paint defects like that covered under warranty before, shouldn't be no big deal.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey Dz, I'm only 5' 8" and worried my roof could be the same.
Can you come down to Houston and have a look for me?
How about a 70's retro vinyl roof? That would work.

Seriously though, a lot of our trucks seem to have the roof painted in a rather crap fashion. Mine isn't great between the indentations and looks like the primer shows through on places.

Quick Reply: Sunday detail-a-thon. The Bad Part...