Coloring in (?) scratches in clearcoat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coloring in (?) scratches in clearcoat?

I've got a Metalic Bronze '05 F-150, and I have a couple of deep (white) scratches in the clear coat. Can I cover them? Can a Pro hide 'em? What are the possibilities. I know it's gonna' keep hapening...........

Old 06-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Odds are they can be 'somewhat' concealed but probably not totally removed or totally concealed.

It's a VERY tough call to make without seeing it...

General rule of thumb... if you can feel the scratch with a fingernail, it's too deep/extensive to remove.

Old 06-23-2005, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the reply. I guess "Concealed" is what I'm looking for.....what do you use?

Old 06-23-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by CCRider
Thanks for the reply. I guess "Concealed" is what I'm looking for.....what do you use?
Try some rubbing compound (be careful though), meguiars scratch x remover and some meguairs gold class and it should do the trick to take it out or get most of it out.

Hope that helps

DJ ANIMALE

Old 06-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Guys!

Old 06-23-2005, 11:55 AM
try obtaining some clear coat and paint it inside the scratch. this will help hide it if it's not to big and there is some base left. i had my babysitters dog scratch my back door on my s'crew when it was a week old and the body shop guy used a real fine paint brush and laid some clear coat into it. it had a couple of scratches about 6 inches long. i thought for sure it was down to the metal but after he laided that clear in it it bascially vanished. then a week or so later he used compound and buffed it. took it right out and only cost me $50. a lot cheaper then repainting the whole door and replacing the factory pin stripe. good luck

Old 06-23-2005, 09:33 PM
I've been painting for several years now. I've painted my miata and I've painted both the ghost flames and candy flames on my truck not to mention all engine plastics, exterior plastics and interior so I have some experience with clear. IF the scratches have not gone thru to the paint, you can have them color sanded out. A body shop will be able to do it for you. Too bad you don't live closer because I do it too. They will take either 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper and wet sand it smooth then buff it out with a high speed buffer and a couple different compounds. It turns out as smooth as glass. Basically it's $200-300 for an entire car so for just one area should be relatively cheap.

Quick Reply: Coloring in (?) scratches in clearcoat?