clay v/s rubbing compound

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clay v/s rubbing compound

I've got a slight haze and oxidation on my 97. Which would do better at removing the oxidation and restoring the shine? Thanks.

Old 06-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A paint cleaner is going to be the best... clay will offer absolutely no aid in removal of oxidation.

That being said, as part of your detailing plan, I'd certainly include clay if it hasn't been done in the pasts 6 months or so... this will remove bonded contamination and other items that are 'stuck' or 'embedded' in your paint.

RP

Old 06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Green
I've got a slight haze and oxidation on my 97. Which would do better at removing the oxidation and restoring the shine? Thanks.
Some advice...

Clay is for removing surface contaminates only. It will not remove oxidation or hazing.

Chemical paint cleaners remove contaminates (like oxidation) on and below the paint surface.

Use progressively less abrasive polishes to remove hazing/swirls/scratches/imperfections.

Be careful what "compound" you use and how you apply/remove it. Done incorrectly, it can cause more hazing.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When was the last time your truck's paint was really polished and detailed nicely? If it has never been done, then if you do the work right, you'll be in for a nice surprise how nice your truck looks.

As already mentioned, clay is for surface contamination and a compound/polish will be for oxidation removal. Clay pulls contamination out of the paint and off the paint. It's great of over-spray and raildust. I like to describe compounds and polishes as liquid sandpaper because basically they're removing thin layers of paint. I actually have one compound you can feel the abrasive particles they put in the stuff.

Like Boss mentioned, a compound can leave it's own haze on the finish. After a compound you will want to follow up with a polish to remove the haze from the compound and bring back that original new shine.

Follow this all up with a coat of your favorite wax.

Quick Reply: clay v/s rubbing compound