Dark Paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dark Paint

I have Midnight blue with small metalic flake. After I wash and wax it I get a LAYER of dust within a few hours. What can I use to help the dust not stick.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 AM
this is the nature of the beast i think. it happens to all of us and you just have to grin and bear it. besides, you're the only one that can notice it cause you're looking right at it inside the cab. the rest of the world still thinks it's shiny and clean.

Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 AM
I have to say it ain't just the dark trucks. I washed the truck at about dark last night, put it in the garage, and at 8 this morning, it had a fine layer of white dust all over the shiny Silver.
You really notice it on the hood.
Chris

Old 07-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 00' F-150 had a painted fiberglass bedcover and it was horrible with the dust and pollen it would collect. I'd come out an hour or two after washing and it was covered.

I don't think there is much you can do to keep the dust from sticking to your paint. If it gets to you that much, then invest in some Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. For light dust you can dilute it down 50/50 and use it to wipe down your vehicle.

I never did it before on my old truck but my new truck has been getting quick detailed (or washed) daily since I've had it. Wonder how long I'm going to keep this up. LOL

Old 07-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Have you considered purchasing a duster - like the California Car Duster? They come in handy when it's dry and dusty. Kind of like dusting furniture - they really do a good job (IMO).

Old 07-01-2005, 08:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd guess it'll stop soon Intel... LOL!

Anyway, on the dust, Intel's advice is good advice. There's a product on the market called Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. This is called a 'waterless wash' but, I'd still be hesitant to utilize it to wash a very dirty vehicle. I use this product (and used it last night in fact) to remove 'heavier' dust that might be on the vehicle. For example, if I've left the truck out all day and in to the evening, a nice thick layer of dust will have accumulated. This stuff offers a bit more lubrication over a regular 'Quick Detailing' spray and thus, you pose less of a risk to your paint to cause problems (swirls, scratches, etc).

In addition to the chemical, I'd highly recommend getting a few (not just one or two tiny ones) nice microfiber towels. There are a few that are on the market and readily available that I'd highly recommend. One can be found at your local Pep Boys and is called the Supreme Shine Microfiber from Meguiar's. Most everyone I've talked to that has tried this towel really thinks its a big bang for the buck. You're going to spend $5 or so each but, they are TOTALLY worth it. Many of us have towels here that we've paid nearly $20 each for and, IMO, these aren't a big step down from those types of towels. Use these towels to remove the S&W or QD products from your paint. Fold the towel into quarters and rotate frequently. Once the towel becomes 'dirty' to the look, use a new towel.

Lubrication is critical when you're removing a thicker layer of dust as it can and will cause swirls/scratches.

For very light dust, I like 2005-Ford-KR's idea of the Cali. Car Duster. Some don't like this product and it goes against the very gut of what I just said about lubrication. The key with this product is to 1) only utilize it when there's a VERY light coat of dust and 2) only use it with VERY minimal downward pressure. Further, don't let it sit on the ground etc... you should seek out the ones that, at a minimum, come with a carrying case to house the 'mop' portion of the tool. This will help keep it clean. Also, don't use it on tires, down around wheel wells, or on wheels as you're much more apt to pick up 'goop' from those areas that you could drag around your paint and potentially cause damage.

Little things like plenty of 'lubrication' when you're going across your paint and good equipment will make a big difference in keeping your truck swirl free. This, naturally, is the easiest way to remove paint defects; don't let them happen as quickly!

Common sense is the best tool when it comes to detailing! Make sure to pack plenty of it to the show... we'll all have momentary lapses but, if you let it prevail, you'll come out on top!

RP

Old 07-10-2005, 11:15 PM
The joys of dark paint, but dam, they look good when detailed.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
For very light dust, I like 2005-Ford-KR's idea of the Cali. Car Duster. Some don't like this product and it goes against the very gut of what I just said about lubrication. The key with this product is to 1) only utilize it when there's a VERY light coat of dust and 2) only use it with VERY minimal downward pressure. Further, don't let it sit on the ground etc... you should seek out the ones that, at a minimum, come with a carrying case to house the 'mop' portion of the tool. This will help keep it clean. Also, don't use it on tires, down around wheel wells, or on wheels as you're much more apt to pick up 'goop' from those areas that you could drag around your paint and potentially cause damage.

Common sense is the best tool when it comes to detailing! Make sure to pack plenty of it to the show... we'll all have momentary lapses but, if you let it prevail, you'll come out on top!

RP
Makes me laugh when you say things like that, i think to myself, "is there actually people out there dumb enough to do that"

This coming from the guy who just had one of those momentary lapses you speak of when i got that $%&#* polisher from wally world.

Quick Reply: Dark Paint