New to Polishing/Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Polishing/Cleaning

First off, I just wanted to thank so many of you guys who help new people (such as myself) like RP, Boss, etc etc etc. Like many others here, I have read all your numerous advices prior to (at least attempting) to clean up my used truck. So yea basically I just want to say a big thank you for the friendly help and advice that users in this forum give out

Well I just recieved my first f-150 (04 FTX) used from a texas dealer that only had around 7k mi on it. Unfortunately the previous owner did a horrible job in keeping the truck clean at all and it had numerous scratches (nonetheless it was filthy dirty from the dealer and coming up here to NY). I went and purchased Mother's Claybar, Meg's QD, Meg's DC Cleaner, Polisher, NTX Wax, and followed the basic advice and different techniques and stuff that was previously posted. Unfortunately at this moment I don't have a PC so I applied the Cleaner and Polish by hand with an applicator and removed with microfiber towel.

One of my questions (sort of stupid), but when i apply cleaner/polish by hand do i make small circular motions like wax? Also should i wipe it off immediately or let it set a little bit (but not completely dry out)?

Also RP I read somewhere (i can't remember where on this forum) when you stated that Hi-Tech Yellow Wax like 12 hrs after NTX would help on darker colors. Would this be beneficial at all with dark grey?

Overall, I'm so new at this, I'm not even sure how well my truck is going so far. Unfortunately I only had time to clay, apply the polish and cleaner so NTX will have to wait until tomorrow. However before it turned completely dark I took a quick picture, I would just like an honest opinion thanks.

BTW: It's supposed to rain tomorrow, does this mean all my efforts today were completely wasted? Anyway hope everyone has a happy 4th

Last edited by chas1; 07-04-2005 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chas1
One of my questions (sort of stupid), but when i apply cleaner/polish by hand do i make small circular motions like wax? Also should i wipe it off immediately or let it set a little bit (but not completely dry out)?
I believe that you need to let both of those products dry... honestly, that's a great question.

Circular motions are fine. No problems in my opinion.

Also RP I read somewhere (i can't remember where on this forum) when you stated that Hi-Tech Yellow Wax like 12 hrs after NTX would help on darker colors. Would this be beneficial at all with dark grey?
Did my neighbor's 99 Maxima last weekend. It's grey (a little lighter color than yours). Two coats of NXT and then went back over it with #16 (a carnauba based wax) and it DEFINITELY darkened the paint... With his being lighter colored, I think you'd note a discernable difference in the two.

However before it turned completely dark I took a quick picture, I would just like an honest opinion thanks.
So far, it looks nice man. It's always difficult to tell from a photo the absolute quality and such of the paint and thus, we're going to have to rely on your opinion quite a bit.

That's certainly not meant as a knock on your detail job!! It looks excellent from all indications!!!

BTW: It's supposed to rain tomorrow, does this mean all my efforts today were completely wasted? Anyway hope everyone has a happy 4th
Happens every time man... LOL!

Wasted? No. I just hope you have a garage where you can finish the deed and also allow the truck to sit there until it gets a bit dryer.

If you don't, you can, potentially, wait a day to apply the NXT. In short, if you're going to have to wash it again because of the rain and such, it may make more sense to forgo the application of this product until you can allow a little more of a 'set-up' time for the product and also so that you can ensure bonding and such. Just a hint...

RP

Old 07-05-2005, 05:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP, thank you for the input. So far it seems like the rain hasn't come yet, but for the next two days I guess I'll just have to take care of some other things. Unfortunately while the truck fits height-wise, just won't do it length-wise. Sorry I couldn't take any better pictures, i'll post some updates after i start on it. Again thanks.