White marks on trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White marks on trim

When waxing the truck I wasn't very careful (since I didn't think this would happen) but I got some wax on the gray rail around the bed. It didn't show up at first but now it has turned white and will not go away after washing or rubbing. Is there anything that will remove it?

Old 07-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Hey DKory22,
I'm having the same problem and I found a thread that will help out.
Do a search here for "wax removal from plastic trim"
They'll give you a few different methods.
I'm going to try the Simple Green with a toothbrush before breaking out the Skippy jar.
I'll respond back tomorrow with results.
Good Luck,
Jim

Old 07-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mr Clean's Magic erasers work. Try it somewhere else first that isn't too obvious just to be safe but I haven't run into any problems.

Another option is a degreaser and a toothbrush. Need to be carefull to keep it off the paint the best you can incase it's caustic at all. Will need to rewax any area the degreaser touches.

I've tried the peanut butter thing before and it just covers the spot up with the peanut oil. I've never had it remove the spots from the trim for me.

If it doesn't work out, then just get some 303 Aerospace and dress your trim after it rains. Stoner's Trim Shine is also great. Can get 5 gallons for $55 on your door step so I'm sure it'll last you the life of your truck. lol. Works great on tires and wheel wells though.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Please... avoid Skippy.

Like Intel mentioned, it's the oil in the product that is simply masking your problem.

Simple Green and a soft bristled toothbrush will work fine... dilute the SG before use. Also, I've used Mr. Clean ME's with great success but, some have ruined trim with them as they are an abrasive cleaning method... with that being said, be very careful with them and try them in an inconspicious area before really getting in to the project...

RP

Old 07-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks everyone! I'll give it a shot tomorrow!

Old 07-10-2005, 01:29 AM
I usually use armor-all.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:35 AM
Same here, armor-all works for me. The only thing is it runs down the sides if it rains within the first 24 hrs after.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Rubbing alcohol took it off nicely! Now my toothbrush tastes a little funny...j/k. I'll top it off with some armor all. Thanks for all the help

Quick Reply: White marks on trim