Need advice for new Color DSG

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for new Color DSG

Got a new car over the weekend, and I am not sure how I should handle the detail work on it. I have a silver mustang and a blueish / tan Expedition, and detail work on those is simple. What I am afraid of is small scrathes showing on this DSG color. I currently use Meguires clay and 3 step process about 4-6 times a year (full process) on the other two and wax each once a month. Can I continue to use these same products on the new one, or something less aggressive?

Edit: I also use a DA buffer to put the wax on, remove by hand, then buff again with the nappy pads (not sure what they are called, look like sheep fur)

Last edited by 01SILVERGT; 07-18-2005 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you say '3-step system' are you referring to the Deep Crystal System? Burgandy colored bottles?

If so, that's a great way to go on with your vehicle maintenance. Nothing in that system is 'aggressive' and is perfectly safe for older vehicles as well as brand new vehicles.

With the DA, you'll want to use a finishing pad (beige colored Meg's pad -- if you use Meg's pads). Remove by hand with a nice microfiber towel (not an el-cheapo!). I wouldn't recommend the final 'buffing' with a wool mitt as wool is fairly aggressive.

As a final step, I'd use a product like Meguiar's Quik Detailer and another nice microfiber towel. This will help you go back over the entire vehicle to remove any dusting that may have been present when you were removing the products. Also, this will help you ensure that you get all of the products off everywhere (body lines, etc...).

RP

Old 07-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes, it is the Deep Crystal System. Ok, just wanted to make sure all these would be fine with the darker color.

Now,please tell me more about the Quick Detailer, and how it is used.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
QD is a mist on, wipe off product. Very simple. It's always my last step on a vehicle... no matter the process (well, at least a product very similar to QD). Use high quality MF towels ONLY!

I buy bulk when it comes to this type of product (by the gallon) and have multiple types that I use at different times. Meguiar's QD is, honestly, one of my favorite QD products on the market.

You can also use this product for quick touch ups with a light dust coating on your paint or smears/smudges.

I carry a bottle (actually three) with me everywhere...

Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM
I second RP's advice on using Meguiars QD. I use it every time I wash. (Vehicles, people...) The only other one that I've tried is Zymol, and I didn't really like it too much. It is supposed to have a bit of carnuba in it, and it seemed to smear a great bit. I had to keep going over it again and again to get all of the smudges off.

Quick Reply: Need advice for new Color DSG