Ugh some people never learn!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh some people never learn!

I finally broke my pops of alot of his bad detailing habits thats he's been doing for the past 50 years but he still has a long way to learn.

he finally uses MF towels and cotton applicators to apply and remove products, instead of his old t-shirts. he finally uses a cotton mit to wash the car, instead of the same sponge he washes the kitchen floor with, lol. he finally doesnt use armorall anymore for the dash, and uses vinylex.

i thought i put some sense into his brain that you shouldnt regularly wash your car with dish soap, and bought him a gallon of some turtle wax soap. nothing outstanding, but he drives a hyundai xg300....it aint a work of beauty to begin with

well he ran out so i bought him a gallon of some cherry wash soap at advance last week when it was on sale for 3 bucks a gallon, told him it was in the basement on the table.

well today he comes up to me...

him- "hey josh where was that car soap you bought?"
me- "right where i told you like 8 times, in the basement on the table lol"
him- "oh i couldnt find it, i washed the car with simple green instead"
me- "you did WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!"
him- "yeah it worked real good, the cars all clean"
me- "yeah all clean and free of any wax you had on it now haha"
him- "no its still on there the water beaded up"
me- "water will bead up on bare friggin metal with a spray nozzle on the hose"

he still refuses to believe that dish soap or simple green will srip his wax. lol. he uses liquid glass on the car, which is really good stuff, but its not invincible. back in the 60's they made a type of polish called liquid glass and it was apparently some really kick azz stuff. he's said himself the liquid glass they got out now is no comparison, but just because it says on the back of the can that you should use an acid stripper or laquor thinner on the paint before repainting the car if you use liquid glass, he thinks that means that nothing will ever remove it unless he laquor thinnered the whole car

o well, i just had to vent. gets frustrating when you tell somebody something so many times, even buy them soap, then they come up and tell you "hey i washed the car with simple green, it looks good" Lmao!!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:07 PM
lol, My father is the same way, but he is willing to listen to what I have to say and try the newer stuff.

Old 08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dad is old school as it gets....He loves jerkin out the old grinder/buffer and giving his vehicles hell with it.

Swirl marks everywhere.

Old 08-05-2005, 06:22 PM
oh man oh man, i thought he was starting to take my advice a little bit when he pulled his car in behind my truck today while i was zainoing away on my 9th coat, and he was putting another coat of LG on the car. although he claimes he just wanted to put another coat on before vacation, i really think he went out and felt the paint on his car then felt the paint on my truck and realized "holy shat...i really did wash most of the LG off the car"

but then i look over and what do i see? the can of LG along with his cotton applicator pad (at least he aint using a rag anymore for applying it, lol) but the applicator pad is sitting on the ground in our asphalt driveway. then i look to see what he's wiping the car down with....an old t-shirt turned inside out

o well, ya win some ya lose some...as long as he aint cleanin my truck with those detailing habits! LOL!

the car does look nice and shiney....just dont look at the paint in direct sunlight and catch a glimpse of those swirls! eek!! haha

Old 08-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
He11 -- the only "washing" any of my old man's vehicles ever got was when it rained! He wasn't exactly a "car guy".....

Old 08-06-2005, 06:44 AM
I will go ya'll one better!!!

My poor misguided uncle, who at the time owned a used junker lot, (and I do mean junker) washed those heaps AND my aunts car with..................COMET!!!

They had pecan trees and that was the only thing he could find that would "get the sap off"....never mind what it did to the vinyl roof of Aunt G''s Caprice...you shoulda seen the paint!!!

Yes, I did buy 3 cars off of him (family discount) but they were my first 3 cars and I bought them to fix up anyway....

Old 08-06-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm at the other end of the age scale ... I had to bring my son into the 21sty century! He used nothing but Turtle products, good shine but ...

I showed him the results I've been getting with Adams products and even him, in his blind youth, could see the difference a quality product makes.

Old 08-06-2005, 01:33 PM
Bad habits?
I have this older neighbor, like some where in his 70s, that washes his cars with a water and karosene mix. He has done this since who knows when. He claims it stops rust and takes off all the tar and bugs. Yeah, no ****!!
He said he has never waxed any of his cars and they do shine, but he never keeps them more then 3 years.
Is karosene clear coat safe?

Sled...

Old 08-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Suspended
I can never keep my truck clean, and I never wipe it down when I do wash it, it's a work truck, But if I ever get a a non work truck and have the time to clean every fleck of dust off, information offerd here will allow me to detail, detail and redetail, detail, wax and rewax all summer long....till winter freazes it...and frost leaves this horriable swirl mark's on the black paint....I sound like every one's worst night mare...

But I have some querks...I have to spray down the truck, get's the dirt off...than I spray it down with water/soap....leave it sit for a couple of min....than with the foam brush I go over the whole truck...leave it sit for a couple min...than hose it off with water...leave it sit...than I use a spotless spray mist so I don't leave water marks.....Nobody like's when I do wash the truck at the car wash....

Old 08-06-2005, 07:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
My dad is old school as it gets....
My dad is still using some ANCIENT "Rain Dance" paste wax. I think that definitely qualifies him in the running for old school.

LOL!

RP

Quick Reply: Ugh some people never learn!