Best way to repair fender flare on FX4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to repair fender flare on FX4?

A few weeks back I bought a cheap rotary polishing tool at Harbor Freight to wax the truck. I guess I was too aggressive around the fender flares because when I was done I noticed it had partially removed some surface on the flares. Instead of being black, it left a gummy white residue. I tried scraping it off with my finger but it still remains a little discolored. I was going to buy some Vinylex at Pep Boys, do you think this will do the trick?

BTW, I returned the rotary and got a PC. What a difference!

Old 08-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Without seeing pictures of the damage, diagnosing your problem will be a bit difficult. A common problem with rotary buffers is heating things up as you burn through them. ( I know that sounds scary, but it's the truth.) The heat caused by friction from those bad boys can do all sorts of damage. Generally speaking those things are capable of removing material at a rate much faster than most of us are capable of managing. (Ask me how I know that.) You'll be much better off with a PC. So, can you post pics?

Old 08-10-2005, 12:21 PM
You may want to give Mothers back to black a try. This is the plastic you are talking about right? Not a painted surface? Only had my truck a month, so I am still a rookie

Old 08-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Pics

Ok, here are some pictures of my mishap. Caused by a rotory polisher with a sheepskin bonnet. How should I fix this?

Old 08-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks to me like you may have rubbed the texture off of the plastic as well...

I don't know how to fix it short of a new flare...

Others have reported a 'whitening' of their plastic parts and pieces when exposed to abrasion (ie: Mr.Clean Magic Eraser)... I don't think Vinylex will do anything at all for it.

One of the 'back to black' types of products may be a better bet before I bought another flare...I don't like this type of product but, it's probably cheaper than a flare... you'll have to reapply several times probably and continually touch it up.

Best of luck but, I'm stumped here... looks like a lesson learned unfortunately. Let us know!!

RP

Old 08-25-2005, 01:32 PM
Update

WOW! Mother's Back to Black did the job. Put this on a couple days ago and looks awesome. Thanks to all for the suggestions, really impressed the way this turned out.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:50 PM
Looks much better!!!

Trending Topics

Old 08-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by cscoios
WOW! Mother's Back to Black did the job. Put this on a couple days ago and looks awesome. Thanks to all for the suggestions, really impressed the way this turned out.

has it come back, because any plastic protectant would of got rid of it, but once it comes off the white wax comes back.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by 04Lariat05kr
has it come back, because any plastic protectant would of got rid of it, but once it comes off the white wax comes back.
I washed the truck this weekend and only one of the fender flares had a little white show up. I'll probably give it another coat or two and that should do the trick. The flares really absorbed the Back-to-Black. Since then, I've also topped the Back-to-Black with some Vinlyex on the flares and it looks awesome. I don't think the average person would notice my mishap now, unless it was pointed out.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:51 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Definitely a nice change for the better... it would really irritate me to have to apply a coat every time I wash though. A bottle of B2B is cheaper than a new flare though...

RP

Old 09-01-2005, 08:50 AM
I agree, RP. I was getting scared that a new flare was the only solution. Only long term will tell, but so far so good.

Quick Reply: Best way to repair fender flare on FX4?