Pine tree sap

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pine tree sap

I bumped a pine tree yesterday! There is no damage other than a big mark of pine sap that will not wash off. can anyone help with info on something to take it off? Thank's Elmo

Old 08-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Detailing clay should do the trick. Try Meguiars Quick Clay first. You can get it most anywhere. If that does not work, you may need a stronger professional grade clay. Bug and tar remover should work on tree sap too. No worries. It will come off.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rjettman
Detailing clay should do the trick. Try Meguiars Quick Clay first. You can get it most anywhere. If that does not work, you may need a stronger professional grade clay. Bug and tar remover should work on tree sap too. No worries. It will come off.

Just to add a bit to Rjettman's comments...and I don't want this to sound 'wrong'; I just want to make sure that it's understood what he meant by the varying levels of clays...

Some manufacturers make a couple of different grades of clay. Most everything that you'll find on the shelf at your local Autozone (Meg's Quik Clay and Clay Magic and Mothers Clay) are all of the very mild variety. This means that they will remove most problems on paint but, on occasion, might not be able to snag some items off of / out of the paint.

From there, a more aggressive clay (Meguiar's Body Shop Professional Aggressive (red)) might be needed to move forward. I think this is what RJett meant by his post there... All in all, the Meguiar's BSP Mild clay and Meg's Quik clay are VERY similar in abrasive power... It's taking it up to the next variety of clay that will add more power.

With that being said... I need a little more information about your situation.

Is the 'sap' area on paint or on a plastic bumper cover? Chrome?

Are you certain that it's sap and not scuffs?

RP

Old 08-10-2005, 05:33 PM
Thumbs up

Yes,it deffinatly sap .Itis sticky to the touch. It is on the painted bumper,just above the factory fog lamp Thank's For any and all help!

Old 08-10-2005, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Skip the clay. It does little for tree sap if it's a big blob or it's really sticky.

Turpentine is the choice of product here. It's made from tree resin. It'll easily dissolve the tree sap off the paint with no serious rubbing of any kind. Soak a rag in it and carefully wipe the spot. Can also spray a little on the spot and let it dwell a minute and then wipe some. If it's a really big blob, it might take a few applications.

Can also try Isoproply (rubbing) Alcohol. It works on some tree saps too but I haven't looked into which ones.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:32 PM
A coworker of mine had sap all over the hood of his Honda. He had heard that WD40 would clear it up. After he applied this it worked like a champ. Now he just has to wax the vehicle again. Might be worth a shot.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cscoios
A coworker of mine had sap all over the hood of his Honda. He had heard that WD40 would clear it up. After he applied this it worked like a champ. Now he just has to wax the vehicle again. Might be worth a shot.
WD40 works b/c it contains mineral spirits that dissolved the tree sap. Turpentine will work the same way.

Trending Topics

Old 08-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bug and Tar will also do the trick (as previously mentioned).

At this point, you need just about anything that will 'disolve' an organic. All of the above, minus the clay as Intel mentioned, will work.

After utilizing this product, be sure to rewax all affected areas as all of the products mentioned *WILL* remove all wax in that area.

RP

Old 08-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Wd-40

Have used WD-40 for years for this kind of thing, tree sap, and the like. Works great to remove stickers from the closet door in the kids room , too.

Old 08-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Smile Thanks!!!

I went with the W-D 40 option!(It was handy) Worked like a champ! Thanks again guys! You all came through again as always!

Quick Reply: Pine tree sap