Undercoating/paint sealer/upholstery treatment by dealer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercoating/paint sealer/upholstery treatment by dealer.

Is this a scam or was my money well spent? I can see the results of the undercaoting, but not for the other two. I did get a written 5 year warranty on all of it and it pretty much spells out they'll repair or replace. Also, for the life of the vehicle, they give (?) me interior cleaner and paint sealer to be used twice a year. Also said NEVER to use Armor-All on vinyl, leather or interior plastics. (Now who didn't already know that??!! ) Runied too many MG tops and dashes with that crap.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Armor-all is actually a safe product these days. It's a water-based product using a PDMS silicone. A lot of the old dash cracking wasn't the dressing but the formulation of the dash. The addition of a cheap slow flashing solvent used in cheap dressings probably wouldn't have helped much but I don't know the history of armor-all's formulas.

303 Aerospace is my choice of dressing if you want to get something that's really good. It's a little expensive but putting out the money for it just for your own vehicle to do leather and dash shouldn't be that bad because it'll last awhile.

Do you have a brand name on the products they applied to your vehicle? I can tell you more or find out more about the systems because they're all different. Most major pro detailing chemical companies offer some sort of warranty sealant.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO the dealer add on's are a rip off.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Factory paint will hold up just fine for 5 years if you never wax it. So they sell you some overpriced wax to wax your truck twice a year. The aphoulstery stuff is nothing more than ScotchGuard spray that you can get at any auto parts store. The undercoating isn't a bad idea, especially if you live up North and deal with salted roads in the winter. But anyone and everyone can sell you undercoating, and nobody is going to be as expensive as the dealer.

When you buy a car or truck from a dealer, everything they can tack on to the final sale is pure profit. Why do you think they have extra people with nothing to do but pitch crap to customers who have already agreed to buy a car??? A couple undercoatings and paint sealers can pay a handsome profit on top of some hefty sales commissions for the 'fluffers' assigned to get you to buy that crap.

Quick Reply: Undercoating/paint sealer/upholstery treatment by dealer.