New Truck -- question about detailing

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck -- question about detailing

Greetings All..

I have a new 05 XLT that is the dark shadow gray. I live in SW Oklahoma (windy, dusty, very hot in the summer) and my truck stays outside all the time. The Meg's website recommends:

-NXT Generation car wash, gold class shampoo/conditioner or soft wash gel
-Scratch X or Quick Clay Detailing System
-NXT Generation Tech wax or Gold class clear coat wax

So...what are some opinions out there? Which products of these do you like? Also, what is the difference between the NXT Generation Tech Wax paste and the other NXT Generation Tech Wax? Is it a liquid?!? The website does not elaborate.

I plan on washing once a week and waxing probably once a month due to the conditions. All opinions will be valued! Thanks!!!

Old 08-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For high heat you're going to want to stay away the Carnauba waxes so something synthetic like NXT will work great.

I've personally never used NXT and have been sticking with Poorboy's EX-P and it gives me really good performance.

I've always used Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo from Target and it's worked great. Currently using an autoint.com product though.

I personally have started to move away from clay unless I need it due to the recent AutoMagic court decisions.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GalaxyFE
Greetings All..

I have a new 05 XLT that is the dark shadow gray. I live in SW Oklahoma (windy, dusty, very hot in the summer) and my truck stays outside all the time. The Meg's website recommends:

-NXT Generation car wash, gold class shampoo/conditioner or soft wash gel
-Scratch X or Quick Clay Detailing System
-NXT Generation Tech wax or Gold class clear coat wax

So...what are some opinions out there? Which products of these do you like? Also, what is the difference between the NXT Generation Tech Wax paste and the other NXT Generation Tech Wax? Is it a liquid?!? The website does not elaborate.

I plan on washing once a week and waxing probably once a month due to the conditions. All opinions will be valued! Thanks!!!
Hello FE:

Let me attempt to clarify a few things and maybe offer a bit of guidance...

The Meguiar's website takes in a few different aspects of what you plug into it to spit out a 'prescription'. Personally, it's very general guidance in my opinion and should be taken as a something to 'think about' rather than something to take as gospel.

For example, it spit out that it recommended Scratch-X. In my honest opinion, unless you already have massive problems, this is probably a product that you won't need for many many moons (pending all is done with proper technique and good products for the months to come). You see, S-X is a product designed to deal with surficial blemishes (scratches and very light oxidation) and, obviously, being a 05, you're not going to really have this type of problem just yet...

So, instead of talking about how we're going to remove your surficial problems, let's talk about preventing them from happening and doing anything that you can do as an owner to make your life easier down the road.

From the sounds of it, you're definitely a good candidate for frequent washing and frequent care. Also, it sounds like you realize that and you're willing to put forth the effort...

So... here's what I'd point you towards...

1. Washing/Drying - Gold Class Shampoo is tremendous stuff. I use it all the time and love it. Technique is critical when you wash though... it's not 'all' about the the chemical. Utilizing a two-bucket method (search this one, you'll find mounds of info), starting from top to bottom, staying away from wheels and wells until the very end and using dedicated sponges/mitts for these extra grimey areas are little things that will make your finish last without having to continually work on it. 100% cotton mitts or sheepskin mitts. Wal-Mart actually sells a decent mitt from a company named Eurow. It's sheepskin and is regarded in the detailing circles as a 'nice mitt'.

Blot dry rather than dragging a towel back and forth across your paint. Use a nice microfiber waffle-weave type of product to dry. 100% cotton-terry can be used if it's VERY high pile and VERY plush.

2. Clay - Almost definitely needed. Few stealerships actually do a 'complete' detail on a vehicle before customer delivery. So, from the months of sitting on the lot from the time it was built, you've almost certainly accumulated some 'bonded' contamination. Quik Clay is your product here (or, Blue Magic Clay or Mother's Clay). I really don't have a huge preference on brands here and I've used all three of those particular flavors. Clay is clay in my opinon, thus far at least. Remember, surface preparation (be it clay, polish, or a combo of both) is the MOST CRITICAL step to making your finish stand out from the rest.

3. Polishing for depth/shine - Here's a step that you can forgo if you don't want it. I'd recommend trying a good polish like Meguiar's Deep Crystal Polish (part of the 3 step system) on half of your hood and not on the other half. Compare them side by side in direct daylight. If you see a reason to do the rest of the vehicle, go for it. If you don't, sideline this one and come back to it again later in your detailing during the year. Again, on a NEW vehicle, this may not be a necessary step. I do, however, think you'll see a big difference between the polished and unpolished.

----CONTINUED IN NEXT POST----

Old 08-15-2005, 10:20 PM
Moderator &

4. Wax - NXT is a good 'all-round' choice. Paste versus liquid is your choice. They're the same product. I prefer liquid as I simply think it's easier to work with. Follow your instructions to the 't' and ensure that you allow time frames between coats and such. I recommend, at a minimum, two coats. Three maybe. This will ensure uniform coverage and protection for the most part. Reserve your judgment on your final work product until around 24 hours later. I think you'll find that the color and depth increase in beauty after a period of a day or two.

Removing the product should be done with absolute care. No towels are to touch the ground or get into the wheel wells or near them until the VERY end of the detail. Again though, I'd recommend dedicated towels for these areas to avoid cross-contamination across your paint. Only very nice microfiber towels should be used... several of us REALLY like DF Concours Microfiber towels. They're pricey but, in microfiber, you get what you pay for... (ie: buy a cheap-o 10 pack for $4 and you're getting towels that aren't far from the equivalency of a shop rag in my opinion -- my stance here is that you spent $40k on a truck, why skimp to keep it looking it's best?).

5. Maintenance - You'll read a lot of us talking about 'Quik Detailing' (QD) products. Meguiar's, Mothers, and several others make this type of product. It is to be used when there is LIGHT dust, smudges, fingerprints, etc on your paint... this is NOT a substitute for washing... If you're in doubt on if you can use QD, wash the truck. Again, light dust or smudges only. The Quik Clay will come with a bottle of Meguiar's QD (which is a very good product). I further understand that Mother's Shine is a nice product as well.... there really are several brands that are great.

A product like this will ensure the longevity of your vehicle looking killer...

The #1 rule in detailing is COMMON SENSE. If it seems like it could harm your paint, don't do it.

For example, if you drop your mitt on the ground, don't immediately wash a panel with it... rinse it with a stream and visually inspect it. If you drop your clay on the ground, it's trash. One tiny spec of sand can spell disaster for your paint (for this reason, chop your clay into a couple of pieces so, when you drop one, you have yourself covered).... this list could go on for six to twelve pages (trust me), again, if you think there's a remote chance that you could harm your paint by doing something, don't do it and intervene before you have the chance to do that...

Again, COMMON SENSE!

RP

Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 PM
Rock Pick...you rule!!! That was quite informative; I love the depth of information on this board....simply awesome. I am going to be out of town for a couple of weeks, but when I return, I am going to spend a good Saturday (and Sunday if needed) detailing my truck. When I finish it up, I will post some pics. Out of curiosity, where might I find DF Concours Microfiber towels? I'm thinking Wal Mart just might be out of the picture...

Old 08-16-2005, 12:57 AM
Moderator &

Glad to help.

www.dftowel.com on the Concours Towel. They're pricey but, held by many (including me) as the best towel on the market.

RP

Old 08-16-2005, 10:21 PM
I just ordered 2 of those DF towels based on RP's recommendation. I wonder how much business RP has drummed up for all of these different companies over the last couple of years?

Trending Topics

Old 08-17-2005, 12:48 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by lrhogfan
I just ordered 2 of those DF towels based on RP's recommendation. I wonder how much business RP has drummed up for all of these different companies over the last couple of years?

I wish like hell that they'd send me some 'spiffs'.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:42 AM
This is like reading an excellent book, except the author knows what's what by experience....... Thanks R.P.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
I too like reading RP's, Intel's, and Boss's recommendations and white papers on proper detailing. I've learned so much from browsing this forum. Detailing has become my new weekend hobby, and taking care of two F150's is alot of work.

Its one of the few hobbies my wife doesn't bit** at me about because her black FX4 looks killer.

Quick Reply: New Truck -- question about detailing