Problems with pin stripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with pin stripes

I just pulled the pin stripes off my truck that have been on there for over 3 years now and i can not get the residue off of the truck. I have tried bumper sticker remover, rubbing alcohol, and even carb cleaner. Any suggestions?

Old 08-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Go to a medical supply store and buy some adhesive remover (as a box of 2x2 squares). Should be around $8.00 Be sure to completely remove all traces of it off your pain when done, then you will need to rewax area as it will strip the wax off of this area

Old 08-16-2005, 09:33 PM
Laquer thinner!!!!!Rotate the rag/towel often or you will have to buff out your scratches. PRESS LIGHTLY!!!!

Old 08-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would absolutely advise against Lacquer Thinner. Although it will remove your pinstipe adhesive, it will also remove your paint. LT is way to hot of a solvent to use on your truck.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WD-40...And a soft cloth will remove them...

Old 08-18-2005, 04:01 PM
Try straight alcohol, not the Jack Daniels type.....Though it may make the experience more enjoyable!

Old 08-18-2005, 04:06 PM
3M general purpose adhesive remover.. Use the same method described for lacquer thinner (wipe on, then wipe off). A plastic razor blade or bondo spreader will help.

I agree with not using thinner!

Regards,
Kevin

Trending Topics

Old 08-19-2005, 12:13 PM
I appreciate all of the advice I will try them out later on today.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:58 PM
I tried everything that was suggested to me but nothing seems to get it off. Has anyone tried that 3m adhesive remover? Is it any good?

Old 08-21-2005, 01:53 AM
I used to use the 3M adhesive remover when I was a painter. The funny thing about pinstripes is that they are all different. Back in the old days...the main manufacturers of pinstripes was 3M and Arlon. If you were lucky in removing the stripes with most of the adhesive coming off with them, then a little 3M adhesive remover would take care of the rest.

I don't think I was clear in my earlier reply...the stripes have to be removed first, then the remaining adhesive. 3M adhesive remover will not remove stripes, just adhesive.

There are many ways to remove stripes. Heat, razor blade, friction, just to name a few. Heat works great on stripes and decals that are in pretty good shape. The easiest thing to do is put the car in the sun for about an hour then start peeling. Razor blades work if you are proficient in using them. The key is to not scrape off the paint (takes years of practice). Friction, via 3M stripe remover or "The Eraser". They can be purchased at a Auto Body supply store. They work using a drill or air tool. They work quick but make a mess. Do not use them on Lacquer paint as they will take the paint off.

Hope this helps!
Regards,
Kevin

Old 08-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boomerssc
I tried everything that was suggested to me but nothing seems to get it off. Has anyone tried that 3m adhesive remover? Is it any good?

You may need to allow the chemical that you're using a little 'dwell time' on the adhesive. In short, get it on there and let it sit fo a very brief period of time to see if it begins to break down the old adhesive.

Last resort... plastic razor blades. Obviously though, this is a risky one.

RP

Old 08-24-2005, 01:59 AM
Any luck boomer?

I just removed some signage from our company trailer yesterday. About 15 minutes per sign. I used acetone to remove the adhesive. Took it right off. Although I don't recomend Acetone to anyone who is inexperienced in using it. It is worse than Lacquer thinner.

I really hope the 3M adhesive cleaner works!

Regards!

Old 08-24-2005, 06:55 AM
You might want to try using lighter fluid...the stuff for a Zippo, not the bar-b-que. It's kind of a gentle 'universal solvent', and what I grab first when I want to remove sticky stuff. It's like at the bottom of the 'it'll hurt your paint' scale, with lacquer thinner at the top.

MR

Old 08-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Still no luck I think that I will try that lighter fluid and then the acetone. I have just about ran out of ideas.

Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 AM
Boomer,

Sorry you are having such a hard time with the stripes. Try Goof Off. It can be found at Target,Wal Mart...It comes with its own plastic scraper that I think will o ok on your paint. I would really stay away from acetone!

Regards!

Quick Reply: Problems with pin stripes