The Best of the Best

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Best of the Best

What has repeatedly proven to be the best chrome protection process, product, etc?
What has repeatedly proven to be the best Aluminum polish process, product, etc?

There are small bubbles beginning to form on the chrome bumper. I would like to protect the finish as long as possible using the best (?). I also have Aluminum steps. While they are not dull, they are losing their brilliance. I need to bring them back to the polished aluminum look.

Thank you in advance for your response,

Chris

Old 08-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me see if I can address your concerns one at a time. First, the chrome bubbles. From what it sounds like, you’ve got small bubbles underneath your chrome plating. If that’s indeed the case, you have corrosion underneath the plating that’s causing the chrome layer (there are also Nickel and Copper layers) to pull away from the substrate. If this is the case, there’s not much you can do to reverse the situation. No polish or wax / sealer will reverse the corrosion and lay the plating back down. The best you can hope for here is to slow the overall process down. The best suggestion I’ve got here is regular waxing with a Carnuba or synthetic wax. Do NOT use steel wool because you’ll rip open the bubbles and further expose the substrate – and just accelerate the process.

As for your aluminum, the first thing we need to do is determine if you have some type of finish on the aluminum (like anodizing or clear coat) or if it’s just polished. If your tube steps are Ford factory ones, they will have a clear coat. (All polished aluminum from the factory is clear coated.) If they’re aftermarket, there’s a 50/50 shot. If you have clear coat, your scratches are in that clear layer and something like Scratch-X might remove some of them. Follow this with a good wax. Be careful not to rub through the clear coat though. If you have just polished aluminum, you can polish it with one of the many aluminum polishes out here (Mothers, Wenol, Flitz, etc.), then apply a sealer like Zoop’s to keep it from re-oxidizing.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best of the Best

First, thank you for your response.

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Let me see if I can address your concerns one at a time. First, the chrome bubbles. From what it sounds like, you’ve got small bubbles underneath your chrome plating. If that’s indeed the case, you have corrosion underneath the plating that’s causing the chrome layer (there are also Nickel and Copper layers) to pull away from the substrate. If this is the case, there’s not much you can do to reverse the situation. No polish or wax / sealer will reverse the corrosion and lay the plating back down. The best you can hope for here is to slow the overall process down. The best suggestion I’ve got here is regular waxing with a Carnuba or synthetic wax. Do NOT use steel wool because you’ll rip open the bubbles and further expose the substrate – and just accelerate the process.

It is corrosion, unfortunately. I am hoping to slow it down.

As for your aluminum, the first thing we need to do is determine if you have some type of finish on the aluminum (like anodizing or clear coat) or if it’s just polished. If your tube steps are Ford factory ones, they will have a clear coat. (All polished aluminum from the factory is clear coated.) If they’re aftermarket, there’s a 50/50 shot. If you have clear coat, your scratches are in that clear layer and something like Scratch-X might remove some of them. Follow this with a good wax. Be careful not to rub through the clear coat though. If you have just polished aluminum, you can polish it with one of the many aluminum polishes out here (Mothers, Wenol, Flitz, etc.), then apply a sealer like Zoop’s to keep it from re-oxidizing.

The aluminum is not clear coated, just highly polished. A friend made the steps so I could get in the truck easier. It is a short person thing...

Again, thank you very much for your response. It is very helpful.

Chris

Old 08-24-2005, 06:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad we could be of some help. Enjoy your truck!