Microfiber Wash Mitts

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Microfiber Wash Mitts

While at Costco this evening, I picked up a 5-pack of Eurow Microfiber Magic Wash Mitts. Anyone have experience with either this brand, or MF mitts in general? The only type of mitts that I've used have been 100% sheepskin. I've never even heard of MF mitts. Are they better/worse/comparable to sheepskin??? Are they more/less prone to swirl marks??? I'm hoping to finally wash my truck tomorrow morning, so any immediate help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 09-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the only thing i can think of is it may shed all over your truck while your washing it, but thats ok because you can just hose it away.... other than that if it feels super soft to you then it will be fine on your truck

Old 09-03-2005, 10:47 AM
Well, this is probably to late, but here is my take on MF wash mitts... DON'T USE THEM FOR WASHING!

Sorry, I just don't like MF mitts for washing. First, they are not plush enough to provide a cushion against the paint. Because of that lack of plushness, they simple can't hold enough water and suds to flush the dirt off the surface safely. Also, MF mitts (and other synthetic mitts) tend to be magnets for dirt. They are difficult (sometimes impossible) to rinse out. Dirt left in the mitt can cause swirls.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I mirror Boss's sentiments...

They may of decent quality and, if that's the case, I'd use them for QD and items like that. They can be handy when used in that capacity but, again, I'm not sure of the quality... Either way though, I'd never use them to wash...

RP

Old 09-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Boss or RP,
Do you feel the same about the DFtowels microfiber washmit. I was going to order one with some towels....

Old 09-05-2005, 07:20 PM
I can't speak for RP, but I feel just about the same way about the DFTowel wash mitt. It's a nice mitt for QD'ing the paint or dusting the interior, but it's just not "plush" enough to hold the water and suds needed for proper washing. It would be better than a synthetic MF mitt, as the dirt would rinse out of the DFT mitt easier. Still, I think a good sheepskin or 100% plush cotton mitt is a better choice.

Old 09-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Moderator &

I've never held one of the DF mitts but, I've never seen a MF mitt of any variety that would hold enough soap/solution to really feel comfortable to use during a wash...

I agree 200% with Boss.

Trending Topics

Old 09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
One of my favorite ways to wash my truck lately has been with the Meguiars Gold Class Microfiber Quick Detail Pad. It holds the water and suds in very well and I have no problems cleaning the dirt out on it.

- Chris

Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by FordTruckMan82
One of my favorite ways to wash my truck lately has been with the Meguiars Gold Class Microfiber Quick Detail Pad. It holds the water and suds in very well and I have no problems cleaning the dirt out on it.

- Chris

...but doesn't have much 'nap' to it to hold the grit/grime that you pick up when you wash.

This is why most mitts/sponges that you see on the shelf that are of 'suitable quality' typically have fibers that are lengthy so that, when you encounter grit/grime on the paint, it has a place to go so that it's not continually drug across the paint.

While I might not worry as much on a quick detail on a wheel or something like that with the pad, I wouldn't dare use anything 'microfiber' based (unless there's something out there that I haven't seen that is long fibered) to wash.

RP

Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
...but doesn't have much 'nap' to it to hold the grit/grime that you pick up when you wash.
You know, I use a product, I like using it and someone has to come around and ruin it all for me. I will never be able to use this again for washing my truck because of that statement, everytime I go to wash her I'll hear that in my head.

Your evil man

- Chris

Old 09-06-2005, 11:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, since I'm the one who started this thread, let me add my .02...

Unfortunately, I read Boss's & RP's comments AFTER I had already used them to wash my truck... Needless to say, I'm now the proud new owner of a Porter Cable DA... That's right, there are swirl marks ALL OVER my truck. Disgusting... So, $200 later, I have the PC DA, all necessary pads, and a bottle of Maguiar's Swirl Remover 2.0. I'm all set for this Saturday.

It would have been much easier if I had just waited a few more minutes & read (and heeded) Boss's & RP's advice, but if I'd done that, I wouldn't have a new PC DA

Bottom Line: From now on, I'm sticking with 100% sheepswool mitts. Nothing else (unless I need an excuse for a new toy)

Old 09-07-2005, 06:48 AM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by FordTruckMan82
You know, I use a product, I like using it and someone has to come around and ruin it all for me. I will never be able to use this again for washing my truck because of that statement, everytime I go to wash her I'll hear that in my head.

Your evil man

- Chris

If you're getting good results, it's your truck. I'm simply laying an opinion on the table from the standpoint of what I would and wouldn't do.

Old 09-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Just my $.02, but I've found that a natural sea sponge works great. Check out this site for cleaning/detailing products and info.

http://www.properautocare.com/

Old 09-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Folks,

By all means, use whatever works for you. However, make sure that it really "works" as it should! Get youself a jewelers loupe, or an illuminated magnifier from Radio Shack and use it. You'll be surprised (sometimes shocked) at what you see.

Using the best car wash soap, wash mitts, and drying towels is one of the most important aspects of detailing. Combine the right tools with the correct washing and drying processes, and you will find that detailing your vehilce is much easier chore... washing and drying is a lot easier than removing swirls.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Microfiber Wash Mitts