Restore Old paint shine

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may step it up to something like Meguiar's Scratch-X or something similar... this will offer more 'cleaning power'...

Without a rotary, I'm hesitant to send you towards a CPC (#84) or something similar....

What other products do you have in your aresonal?

RP

Old 09-11-2005, 09:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"without a rotary"...what is that?

I've PC DA 7424 (I think that is model number, which ever one was recommended here)

Can you "scratch X" the whole hood with a DA?

I'll buy anything you guys recommend.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:21 AM
ToyoGuard from Toyota... works great on all vehicles.

Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 PM
Moderator &

I don't recommend going out and buying a rotary for $200+ and then trying to master it on black...

Rotary = spins... DA/PC = oscillation at lower RPMs. The rotary can do ALOT more on paint but, by the same token, isn't a 'safe machine' just to 'tinker' with on paint.

You can use Scratch-X with a DA but, it's been most folks' experience that it gums up on the pad when exposed to rotation or heat... in short, I might try it by hand first.

RP

Old 09-11-2005, 01:23 PM
you need to clay bar it...
I used mothers on my truck and it looks like new.
My paint looked about like that.
It's somewhat time-consuming, but it is worth it 110%.

Old 09-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by cazzy
you need to clay bar it...
I used mothers on my truck and it looks like new.
My paint looked about like that.
It's somewhat time-consuming, but it is worth it 110%.
Clay is a great step in taking care of neglected paint but, it's not really meant to deal with oxidation on any level. Clay, in and of itself, is designed to remove bonded surficial contamination... the stuff that isn't removed with a standard 'washing'.

RP

Old 09-30-2005, 03:34 PM
Here is how I got my shine back

My 99 XLT is black and I was activated with the Army for 13 months so my paint job suffered big time during that time. When I got home I was too busy trying to re-establish myself in a new job so the truck was neglected pretty much for over two years.

A friend put two coats of Zaino on my new 2006 Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel) and it looked great. I'm an old Finish First guy so I was already familiar with polymers.

I too tried to clay bar my hood but it just wasn't getting the contaminants out. I ended up using an orbital buffer with 3M Perfect-It III. Word to the wise, don't do your entire vehicle and then try to buff the stuff off ... it is harder to get off that way.

In the shade with the paint cool to the touch, do a small section applying the product with the buffer and then buff off with a towel or a clean buff pad once it dries.

The 3M Perfect-It is about 1200 grit and will take off paint scuffs, minor scratches etc. I don't recommend you do this but once or twice but it sure did restore my finish to a deep shiny black without water marks etc. Right after you do something like this you need to follow it up with a good wax or polish (I used Zaino http://www.zainostore.com).

My truck looks great now!

Quick Reply: Restore Old paint shine