Polished tips rust stains....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Polished tips rust stains....

Hey all,

I have a question. I have had my Magnaflow SIDO on my truck for about a year now. I have been able to keep my stainless tips pretty clean so far, and shiny also. But, in the past couple of weeks, I have not been able to wash my truck do to the INSANE amounts of rain we have had up here in the northeast (13+ where I am). Anyway, I washed my truck the other day finally, and noticed that my tips were stained with rust. I figured no biggie, comes right off with Heavy Metal polish. Well, I got out the green stuff, medium abrasive, and started to rub away. After about 10 minutes of rubbing, it appeared I was getting no where, and I was short on time at that point. My question is is there another way to get these rust stains off somewhat easy? Could i take some 0000 steel wool to them to remove the stains and then polish them back to shine? Or is there something else I can do to bring back the shine that won't take all day to do? Let me know guys, thanks.

If this has been covered already, sorry, I was short on time and didn't have a chance to search. Thats what happens when you post at work! Thanks again!

Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 AM
Anyone????

Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by roboots21
Anyone????
Hell, it's early and we haven't had yet!!!

Anywho, my favorite trick for rust is tin foil and water. Crumple up the tin/AL foil and dip in water then LIGHTLY rub away the rust. Test on the bottom or out of the way first to ensure it won't scratch. Odds are it won't but better safe than sorry. There is no product on the planet that can remove rust faster than good 'ol AL foil and water...

Old 10-24-2005, 09:42 AM
Wow, I never thought that something like that would work. Kinda seems like you are wet sanding the tips with the aluminum foil. I'll have to give that a try, although it wont be anytime soon, as the rain is still falling here, supposed to get the remnants of Wilma tonight, tomorrow. Maybe thursday I'll be able to wash my truck for the first time in over three weeks. It looks like hell, but really thanking myself for putting the porterfield pads on my truck, as there is hardly any brake dust on my wheels. Thank D, I'll give this a try.

Is there anyone that has used 0000 Steel wool to do this though? Just wondering? Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2005, 10:44 AM
I was sold on doing a Magnaflow SIDO but now I'm hesitant. I live up north in MN and I wouldn't be able to be washing these things all the time over the winter. Pluse we use a lot of salt and that liquid stuff to prevent ice. I bet that stuff would eat right through the Magnaflow tips. Thats no good.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Steel wool is evil!! The reason AL Foil works is the density of AL is much lower than steel... it takes off the rust w/o the scratches. Steel wool has the same density if not higher than the pipe... thus resulting in scratches.

The maggie tip is like any other on the market - if will tarnish over time, especially in the winter months when exposed with salt. It's not the end of the world. Polish it up in the spring and warm winter days. It's not going to 'eat right through' the tip.

Old 10-24-2005, 11:46 AM
Should I expect the same problem with the chrome bumpers on my Lariat?

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2005, 11:57 AM
What, rust on your chrome bumpers? It happens... it shouldn't so new, but it can happen. AL foil should do the trick on chrome as well, just test first before you do rubbin' all over.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
Yeah hopefully I won't have any problems.

I'm still hung up though on doing an 18 inch muffler or 20 inch. Then I also don't know if I should go reserved with a SISO or sportier with a SIDO. Then if I do SIDO, do I want the different look of camaro style tips or the regular magnaflow tips.

Thinking about which one would match the overall theme of the truck....which I'm trying to stay sporty/luxury. 22s go on in the spring of next year with no plans to lower or lift my 4X4.

Old 10-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Thanks D!

Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Yeah hopefully I won't have any problems.

I'm still hung up though on doing an 18 inch muffler or 20 inch. Then I also don't know if I should go reserved with a SISO or sportier with a SIDO. Then if I do SIDO, do I want the different look of camaro style tips or the regular magnaflow tips.

Thinking about which one would match the overall theme of the truck....which I'm trying to stay sporty/luxury. 22s go on in the spring of next year with no plans to lower or lift my 4X4.
Duke,

You've been talking about getting a Magnaflow for months. Every exhaust post I read you question the tips, sound, and setup. Its time to @#%^ or get off the pot!

Old 10-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by cscoios
Duke,

You've been talking about getting a Magnaflow for months. Every exhaust post I read you question the tips, sound, and setup. Its time to @#%^ or get off the pot!
Haha, yeah I know. I'll take some exlax this week and figure out what I'm going to do.

Old 10-24-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by roboots21
Thanks D!
So I take it you have no more rust nor scratches?

Duke - get the 20" and call it a day already. Sheesh! Or, if you want the 18" I'll sell you mine and I'll go get the 20...

Old 10-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Yeah I'm putting a call into Troyer today or tomorrow. I've been shrewdly looking at all my mods because I'm also in the middle of a lawsuit with my apartment complex.

Old 10-24-2005, 03:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't worry about the tips rusting. I put mine to the test last winter and they still look good. Just polish them up when you do the rest of the truck and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: Polished tips rust stains....