What to do for cleaning the truck in the winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it looks like I am not going to have a good first winter in VT. I wash my truck every week and wax once a month. I have no idea what I am going to do this winter. What about the undercarriage. Is their and alternative to an undercoat? Do I leave my plastic bed liner in? I've heard that salt gets under there and just the little bit of rubbing the liner does causes damage.

Old 11-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Although I'd like to agree 100% with 01XLTSport (I use Zaino too), I think I have add a qualifier around "touchless" car washes. I had one of our local fully automatic touchless places completely remove all of my Zaino last winter. It appears to relate to exactly what kind of detergent your car wash uses.
Interesting and great you posted with other information. I figured the touchless car washes here would have some harsh stuff since we get all that salt and road grime. Perhaps I was lucky in that the touchless car wash I used did not use harsh enough soap to strip the Zaino. It did get the truck clean...

So, I guess it's best to try out some touchless car washes prior to winter to see if they will be a problem durning winter...

Old 11-04-2005, 09:29 AM
I do the same as Burt, good coat of Zaino before the snow flies, actually it is on the schedule for this weekend for my truck and wifes car. I use the touchless car washes every couple of weeks.
The detergents used are very alkaline and can strip wax. Zaino is a little tougher but by spring it is probably gone as well.

Old 11-04-2005, 02:11 PM
I just wait for a sunny day that is above 25 degrees and bring the truck to a brushless wash. The truck could go a month without getting washed, that's just part of living in a cold environment. I wax the truck in October before the snow comes, and then in April when the snow leaves. In Wisconsin, all I'm doing is rotating the salt everytime I wash the truck anyway.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by lees99f150
In the winter i do exactly what i do in the summer, nothing. :santa:

That's right. It's a truck!!!

Quick Reply: What to do for cleaning the truck in the winter?