Need some clarification

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some clarification

Rockpick, Boss429,

I know you guys have heard it before, and will hear it again, but you really, really do a super job helping us out!

Me? I'm from the early 60's.. turtle wax and cheese cloth. Mid 60's when I discovered Mirror Glaze, the blue stuff. Used Rain Dance to clean and polish, Mirror Glaze to make it shine. Fast forward.... 21st century. Now, it's Maguires DA buffer, Scratch-X -- #9 polish -- NXT -- #16 Mirror Glaze.

It's because of you guys I bought this stuff and I'm about as pleased as I can be. EXCEPT... I think I'm working too hard. Would you tell me if I'm doing this right?

#9 using the DA buffer.... Am I correct that I do NOT press down? That I move the buffer rather slowly across the surface? Kinda let the machine do the work? Work the stuff until it's almost dry, let it dry and then wipe it off? It came off a little hard. Did I put it on too thick?

NXT... If the surface has been prepared with #9, is it only necessary to cover the surface? I feel like I'm not doing it right if I don't really rub the stuff into the paint, like you do with a cleaner / wax... like I did in "the old days". I guess I should get some liquid NXT. Scooping "chunks" of the paste style onto the pad of the DA probably isn't the way it was envisioned during development.

Mirror Glaze... Once more, is simply covering the surface enough? Even if it feels like I'm not working hard enough?

Why must I wait 24 hours for NTX before putting on the carnuba? What would happen if I put it on right away?

Wish one of you guys were closer, I wouldn't have to do all this!!!

Flagship

Old 11-01-2005, 06:30 AM
Flagship,

First, a couple of tips on the #9...

Use "light", but "noticeable" downward pressure with the PC as you are applying the product.
Work the #9 until it "starts" to disappear... not until it is dry or completely disappears.
Wipe the area "immediately" after you have worked it.
Don't use too much product... nor to little.

Now for the NXT application...

If you are applying the NXT by hand, use "light" circular or back and forth motions if you want to keep the cleaning/polishing action to a minium. If you want more cleaning/polishing action, be slightly more aggressive with your application. If you already have used #9, you probably will want to go "light". Don't forget to keep the coats thin.

If you are applying the NXT paste with a PC, try using a foam applicator to apply the NXT to the PC pad. Then, with a speed setting of around 3, let the weight of the PC apply the product.

Now for your other questions...

Mirror Glaze is a general term for the Meguiar's products. Therefore, the application depends on the specific product. Some do more than just cover the surface. In the case of the #9, it's a combination of both covering the surface, and "working" the surface. However, #9 does more "hiding" of imperfections than removing them... so it's slightly more a "covering" product... so to speak.

Any wax, natural or synthetic, requires some time to dry, cure, bond, or whatever. Therefore, it is always good to give them at least a few hours to do so (not necessarily 24 hours). If you don't give them some time, you are just "re-liquefying" them if you apply another coat to soon.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Boss_429; 11-01-2005 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:45 PM
Thanks for answering. Yes, that helps!

#9 is a filler type product? That means I can use it fairly regularly without worrying about going through the clear? That's good!

Now, it's back outside to finish yesterdays project. Even with the DA, it's a big job! I miss my Ranger! <G>

Flagship

Old 11-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Flagship
#9 is a filler type product? That means I can use it fairly regularly without worrying about going through the clear?

Flagship
Yes.

Old 11-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Well, it's done! I still need to do the wheel wells, and clean glass, but the wheel wells will get attention next wash, the glass, tomorrow.

I had to get up at what is like 3:00 AM for me, so I had daylight as it's dark at 5:00 now. I work nights (5:00 PM to 5:00 AM) and don't usually get up till 3:00PM. My wife is real happy about me using my entire weekend feeding my excessive-compulsive tendencies, but she'll get over it!

The BLACK truck looks like it should!

Once more... Thanks Boss 429 and Rockpick!!

Flagship

Old 11-01-2005, 10:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure I helped there...

Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 PM
Not necessarily in this particular thread, but in previous replies to my questions, and most decidedly in replies to other's questions.

Flagship

Trending Topics

Old 11-02-2005, 06:25 AM
No problem... glad it helped.