Pros...take a look see..

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 04:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pros...take a look see..

I want to purchase a orbital polisher, but don't want to pony up 150 plus.....so does this look like a deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-PRO-LINE-VARIA...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Why not by a DA PC at Lowes for $90.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Dolemite
I want to purchase a orbital polisher, but don't want to pony up 150 plus.....so does this look like a deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-PRO-LINE-VARIA...QQcmdZViewItem

Do you want an Orbital, a Rotary, or a Dual-Action Polisher?

Here's the thing... an Orbital isn't going to have the 'oompah' to really take care of most surficial problems. They're generally considered to be a 'wax application' tool for the most part. Orbitals are the things that you can buy at Wal-Mart that are branded "VECTOR".

A Rotary, which is what the tool you listed is called, is a MUCH powerful tool that can induce big time hurt on paint problems... by the same token, it can induce big time problems to the paint if not used properly. I haven't been spinning a rotary around for all that long and, even after having used it oodles of times now, I'm still a tiny bit nervous when swinging it around. You've heard of people 'burning' their paint (mainly because they were boneheads)?... this is the machine that they were probably using incorrectly with incorrect products and incorrect techniques.

A dual-action polisher (AKA: PC, AKA: DA, AKA: Porter Cable) is a VERY user friendly machine that generates enough rotation to help to remove problems with your paint. In addition, the head on the machine oscillates as well thus creating the 'dual-action' (up and down and spinning). This nearly eliminates user induced problems (when used in a non-boneheadish fashion). Again, this machine can introduce problems but, for the most part, is VERY safe for use by just about anyone that can hold the machine.

The PC that was mentioned in the first response to this thread really isn't a bad choice in my opinion. You're still looking at the cost of pads, a backing plate, and probably some products to use with it so, once those are tagged in, you're just as good to go with one of the kits from www.autodetailingsolutions.com . The kits there feature a PC that comes with a LIFETIME warranty and also pads, a backing plate, and some products (most of which are decent).

So, in summary, take the full deal into account... even if you were to buy that rotary off of ebay, you're still looking at buying pads (at around $10 a piece), a backing plate so that you can use the pads (Velcro - usually around $20), and some polishes that you can use... the DA kit from ADS would be a safer choice for the weekend warrior type and, all in all, will probably hit less on the old wallet.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

RP

Old 11-03-2005, 06:11 PM
I kind of debated the purchase of a DA before I bought mine. I have to tell you, it was well worth the money. Just saving the arm strength from waxing alone, no less applying polishing and paint cleaners. It also really helps spread your products more thinly and evenly then just your hand on an applicator pad making removal much much easier.

- Chris

Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 AM
I got one at wal mart for real cheap. it was only anout $20 and it works pretty good. It gets used on my truck, the wifes stang and my moms car and still going like a champ.

Quick Reply: Pros...take a look see..