Bounce away dead dry bugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bounce away dead dry bugs

Thought I would share a piece of information that I came across awhile back on an RV site. I have used this a few times and it works great. The first time was after a 2,700 mile trip from Dallas to Vegas and back. Front of my SVT Focus was covered in bugs and parts of what was at one time insects. Went to the car wash to soak and pressure spray off the front bumper and hood. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the Screaming Yellow paint clean. Then I remembered this little trick. Hose down the car to get it wet. Take a fresh Bounce dryer sheet (yes the sheets that make your cloths feel soft and smell good) For best results, soak it in very warm to hot water for a few minutes. Then just use it to wash away the bugs from your car. Follow up by rinsing away the bugs and slick film left by the bug guts and dryer sheet.
Yeah, I know it sounds weird, but it works great. Rv'ers some how found out this little trick when looking for something to remove bugs from the front of their campers.

Old 11-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Yes, it's abrasive enough to get the bugs off but soft enough to keep from damaging a vehicles's clearcoat and paint like some chemical bug and tar removers will do. I use them on my '05 F-150, but I still go back with my car washing soap afterwards to clean the film off that my Bounce sheets tend to leave.

Old 11-15-2005, 01:07 AM
One thing I tried and it worked great is...I used a steamer (Scunci Steamer) that they sell at Walmart now. It used to be on QVC all the time. Anyway, I just held it over a dried bug for about 2 seconds and then wiped it away with a damp sponge. No effort at all. I was really looking to make sure it didnt take away from the paint or anything after a few months of use, and it never did. Seems to be harmless to the paint.
I used to use goo gone, but there was a lot of scrubbing on my end, and it always seemed to leave a dull spot on the paint so I stopped using that.
Good luck!

Old 11-15-2005, 01:11 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing to think about there redbats is that the heat/steam generated by that device is probably also removing any surficial protection (ie: wax) that you have on your paint. In short, be sure to rewax the front end after you use the machine...

Old 11-15-2005, 01:21 AM
excellent point rock!

Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Great points on how to get bugs off...Now an old reminder on how to keep them off. Use Pam or WD-40 ( I use WD-40) on the chrome bumper and the plastic grill. Since the grill is plastic the WD-40 also helps the shine. Spray some on a rag, and rub the bumber until the streaks are gone. I noticed bug stickage was down about 75% afterwards.

Old 11-18-2005, 01:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard this method talked about a lot but have never tried it myself.

I found a gallon of Pro's Bug Guard I had and have been using it lately when I know I'm going to get a lot of bugs on my truck, and it's working great. I also have a new method to washing my truck since I have to use those self-serve car wash places now. They're sure great to handwash at.

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Intel486
I also have a new method to washing my truck since I have to use those self-serve car wash places now. They're sure great to handwash at.

I agree 200%!

This time of year (the time when it's really cold), I'm a frequent quarter dropper.

Hard to beat warm water with a spot free rinse for a few bucks. I pack my own buckets, soap, mitts, etc and use the same technique but love the super high pressure and DI rinse!

It's difficult to spend $10 at a wand wash but, I typically do it once a week during the winter months.

-RP-

Quick Reply: Bounce away dead dry bugs