Hard water spots on outside of glass

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard water spots on outside of glass

Since I took my cap off the back of my truck, I've noticed that I have some really bad hard water spots on the rear window of my truck, and I have not been able to get them off. I haven't tried everything yet, but I thought I would ask here what you would recommend. I was thinking maybe vinegar or perhaps washing it with Dawn, although I don't want to strip the wax on the surrounding painted surfaces.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by dufunnel
Since I took my cap off the back of my truck, I've noticed that I have some really bad hard water spots on the rear window of my truck, and I have not been able to get them off. I haven't tried everything yet, but I thought I would ask here what you would recommend. I was thinking maybe vinegar or perhaps washing it with Dawn, although I don't want to strip the wax on the surrounding painted surfaces.
We have talked about this in the past. What worked for me was stove cook top cleaner, I bought it at Home depot. It work good on glass and on my chrome bumpers.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Never would have thought of that. I already have some in my kitchen too. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks.

Old 11-15-2005, 11:56 AM
No problem

Old 11-16-2005, 06:52 AM
I too am plagued with water spots on the windows. We have well water and I just can't seem to remove them with any suggestions from others. I've tried it all, the stove top cleaner, 0000 steel wool, vinegar and water, Glass Scrub, etc.

For Xmas I'm getting the kit below to use with my PC. This is my last resort.

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/glpokit.html

Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by cscoios
I too am plagued with water spots on the windows. We have well water and I just can't seem to remove them with any suggestions from others. I've tried it all, the stove top cleaner, 0000 steel wool, vinegar and water, Glass Scrub, etc.

For Xmas I'm getting the kit below to use with my PC. This is my last resort.

http://store.yahoo.com/classic-motoring/glpokit.html
If that works you need to get a water softner, I had one put in my house and its a day and night difference.

Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
If that works you need to get a water softner, I had one put in my house and its a day and night difference.
I agree, I would love to do this but can't justify 2-3k that I've seen quoted around here on a water softner. But, I think long term this is the answer.

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2005, 09:26 AM
I agree, I would love to do this but can't justify 2-3k that I've seen quoted around here on a water softner. But, I think long term this is the answer.
I paid $2800 but thats a 2 tank system plus the holding tank most houses dont need that. We went over kill on everything. You can get everything for about a grand. Plus you can write it off on your taxes as a capital improvement. The system is easy to plumb in if you need I can take pictures of my plumbing and send it to you. Its straight forward. Mine also comes with free salt drop offs and service. I have city water and it made a huge difference. Even washing my truck is spot free now.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:08 AM
I installed my own water softener from Lowe's for a little over $500. Unfortunately my water spots were from not being able to wash in between the back of the cab and the top on my truck.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
05SuperCrew,

Thanks. I'll see how this little kit works out before investing in a water softner.

Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dufunnel
I installed my own water softener from Lowe's for a little over $500. Unfortunately my water spots were from not being able to wash in between the back of the cab and the top on my truck.

Hey bud... did you get my email?

Old 11-17-2005, 01:16 PM
05SuperCrew,

Thanks. I'll see how this little kit works out before investing in a water softner.
No problem.

Old 11-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Hey bud... did you get my email?
Yeah, I got it. Thanks.

Old 11-17-2005, 11:14 PM
I have dealt with worse problems then this. I would recommend Ardex Acid Wire Wheel Cleaner, with a #1 light steel whool sponge to remove those spots. It will work, but you must be carefull not to come in contact of anything but the glass.

Quick Reply: Hard water spots on outside of glass