80 or 83

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80 or 83

My truck is 11 months old now , the first four months it was taken to the car wash , then I noticed they were scratching it , even though they asurred me they use clean water and rags.I now wash it myself using the two pail methode. I have since been trying to restore it to a swirl and scratch free as much as possilble. There are small dia swirls and some long sweeping scratches way less then finger nail catching but I see them in direct sun light. The finish would be considered good to a normal person, you have to be pretty close and in direct sunlight to notice. But I have become a detailing junky and want to get to a swirl free finish in direct sun. I have been over it twice with scratch X and use NXT for wax. I just purchased a DA polisher 7424 , ordered meg's backing plate and pad kit. Now the question is how to get to what I want will the Speed glaze #80 do the job ? If it dosen't should I go to #83 or go over it again with the #80 ? Should I start with the #83 then go to the #80. I don't want to remove to much. Thanks all of you that help on this site . I have learned alot about detailing and performance products from all of you.

Picture appox. 2 month ago(f150 Ironhorse)

Last edited by rj28racer; 11-23-2005 at 01:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The kicker is that you've got a BLACK truck and thus, EVERYTHING will be apparent.

Owning a black truck as well, I have had very good luck on my truck and on client vehicles with #80 when the micro-scratching / swirling hasn't been too elaborate. Having not seen your paint, it's a tough call to make.

With that in mind, I'm going to have to recommend starting with the least abrasive product first... that, of course, being the #80. I'd probably go a couple of rounds with it (if needed) and reassess.

Being that this might be one of the first times that you've utilzed a DA polisher, it may take a little getting used to so don't be discouraged if, after your first application, you still have paint problems. Be patient. Learn slowly.

RP

Old 11-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on your assessment of your paints conditon (hard to notice the swirls), if you want to "remove" (not hide) the swirls, I would start with #80 and a polishing pad with the PC set at 5 and work as follows...

Find the worst swirls.
Work a 2' x 2' area completely with the #80.
Wipe the area down with a 50/50 spray mix of alcohol/distilled water and check the area closely...

If the swirls have been somewhat reduced, make another pass with the #80, wipe it down, and check again. If the swirls are almost gone, I would step down to a finishing polish. If you don't have a finishing polish, you can use the #80 on a finishing pad to burnish the paint a bit, and finish off the swirls.

Now, if after the first pass, you don't see a significant reduction in the swirls, you'll probably need to go right to the #83, make a complete pass or two, and then step down to the #80.

If "hiding" most of the swirls is OK with you, you could start with #80, skip the alcohol/distilled water wipe down, and just wipe the area with an MF and check. Then, follow up with a good glaze like #7 or #81.

Hope this helps.