Plastic Molding

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic Molding

I just bought a 2003 Explorer XLT V8 4X4 and it has the black plastic body molding at the bottom. Anyone have any tips on how to keep the plastic from fading?

Old 12-17-2005, 11:16 PM
I just detailed my friends car and i tried using some interior shine that was safe for rubber and plastic on the rubber moldings, it made them look brand new, i just put it on a towel and rubbed it on. I havent tried it on plastic, but if the stuff was designed for use on interior plastics, it makes sense it would work on exterior too, either way, try a small spot out of the way to see if it works

Old 12-18-2005, 11:00 AM
I just tried the mr clean tire eraser it worked really good on the plastic. it was really easy. I tried it on the tire's and it worked ok but fell apart really fast and was laborering becuase the tires have ribs on them that made the product deteriorate fast. I actually purchased it to do the tires . even though i mask off the rubber and plastic when i detail still got a few spots where some #80 and nxt wax got on the rear bumper. Just foolin around i thought i would try on the plastic cover on the bumper and was really impressed on how good it worked.

Last edited by rj28racer; 12-18-2005 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:19 PM
adams vrt has a spf of 60 i beleive. areospace 303 has a spf of 20 i think. should help protect it

Old 12-22-2005, 02:00 AM
I use three diiferent items:
Meguiars’ #40 Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner / Conditioner
Meguiars’ Natural Shine Vinyl & Rubber Protectant
Meguiar's Exterior Trim Detailer (shines and protect plastic surfaces)

Please, please, please do NOT use mr clean eraser on your black plastic parts of your truck (like your bedrails). A few of us have found that this is a bad mistake. It actual makes them look even more faded. I had to replace mine after the damage was done and some have had to replace other parts (door handle, bumps, and running boards) after using this. Do a quick search here and you will see that this maybe the wrong product for you.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:33 PM
I use Clearkote Tire dressing on all plastic and rubber trim.

here is a picture of half the trim treated and the other half treated with the clearkote.

Quick Reply: Plastic Molding