How Hard is Your Water?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 04:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How Hard is Your Water?

I washed last night... dried it in the garage... drove to work this morning... droplets came out of the woodwork...

Case in point...

Those aren't scratches! That's good ole' calcium carbonate!

Chunky!

Yes, that's salt on my running board nearest the wheel (not the gigantic whte blotches). It was supposed to 'flurry' this morning thus, they decided to salt the heck out of the roads... and why wouldn't they? It's important to oversalt any time they say the 's' word on the evening weather. BTW, not even a single flake came down. Twits.

-RP-

Old 12-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that would **** me off. My water is hard, but i use the Mr. Clean doo-hicky for final rinse, then dry @ leisure w/ microfiber's. For $5 per cartridge @ 3 washes per cartridge i swear by it. Try that.

I feel kinda weird giving you advice. It's the classic student trying to teach the teacher.

Old 12-19-2005, 06:03 PM
come and drive up here in PA for a winter season and see how much road salt you get. this pic shows all the salt after a week of bad weather. my truck should be red, not white.

Old 12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
haha our trucks look exactly the same lees. Finally got above freezing temps today so I took it to the car wash.

Old 12-23-2005, 11:24 PM
My water is bad... but not that bad!

If it was, I would get a BIG filter, or MOVE!

Old 12-24-2005, 12:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is much worse.

Run a glass of water and its white. About every 8 months I can scrape little pieces of coal and dirt from the bottom of the toilet tank. :santa:

Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ha ha, considering i live up in the great white north, i find it a little amusing that we have had 1 of our warmest winters ever. Heck we dont even have any snow on the ground, and are high temp today was around 10 celcius.

As far as i can remember this will be the first christmas without snow around here.

I know next year we will probably end up with 6 feet of snow by christmas, just to even things out.

I think this is the first time ever that my truck has been cleaner than yours Brad, Im going to have to go takes some pics, and save them for a rainy day.

Old 12-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Moderator &

Don't be so sure.

The truck has been washed 3 times since that photograph was taken last week. Muhahaha!

Old 12-24-2005, 05:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Roadsalt? What is this you speak of?

Georgia...Georgiaaaaaa...

Old 12-24-2005, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Don't be so sure.

The truck has been washed 3 times since that photograph was taken last week. Muhahaha!
lol washed 3 times in 5 days thats pro

Old 02-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Moderator &

I just wanted to dig this one back up from the depths as a mini-preview to my forthcoming review of the SPOTFREE WATER FILTER SYSTEM that I recently purchased...

This is a water hardness test strip kit. As you can see, there are two strips shown in the picture that have been used... Can you guess which is out of the spicket and which has gone through the filter system?

If you said spicket was on the right and filtered was on the left, you get a cookie!

I'll be writing something up here in the coming day or two as I finally got a chance to tinker with this filter system. It has a LOT of great things going for it... stay tuned.

RP

Old 02-14-2006, 11:29 PM
When we built our wash RP, we added a gazillion dollar water relamation system. I asked about adding a softner, but the guy was like oh no you won't need that. 3 weeks later, he had to come back and add the softner system. Jackass wouldn't listen......

Old 02-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by RockPick
I just wanted to dig this one back up from the depths as a mini-preview to my forthcoming review of the SPOTFREE WATER FILTER SYSTEM that I recently purchased...

This is a water hardness test strip kit. As you can see, there are two strips shown in the picture that have been used... Can you guess which is out of the spicket and which has gone through the filter system?

If you said spicket was on the right and filtered was on the left, you get a cookie!

I'll be writing something up here in the coming day or two as I finally got a chance to tinker with this filter system. It has a LOT of great things going for it... stay tuned.

RP
Definitly keep us posted. I added an expensive water softner to the whole house including the sprinklers and it made a big difference but still get small spots. Owning a black truck is becoming costly.
On a side not a friend lives about a mile from me purchased a water softner from Home Depot/Lowes for about 1k and figured that would fix his hard water. Didnt work, 1k down the drain. Had the water tested and ended up paying $4800 for the right water softner. So before you purchase one of these check your water first and have an in home test done not through the mail.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:24 AM
Moderator &

I've already purchased and have used the filter... It's strictly a 'hose' filter as I couldn't justify the expense involved in putting one in the entire house as I don't see us in this house for more than another couple of years (our first home -- running out of space now).

This seemed to me to be the best and most cost effective route to take in that I needed something to cut down on this:

Obviously, seeing that, you can only imagine what the streaks down the side of the truck looked like that produced those crystalline puddles...

You're right, black is expensive... couple my black truck with the fact that my wife has a dark green (not sure of the 'technical' color name) Eddie Bauer Explorer and, we battle the water NO MATTER what... also, the fact that I detail on the weekends... well, this thing just made sense to me.

I'll try to get that review together tonight...

-RP-

Old 02-16-2006, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=RockPick]I've already purchased and have used the filter... It's strictly a 'hose' filter as I couldn't justify the expense involved in putting one in the entire house as I don't see us in this house for more than another couple of years (our first home -- running out of space now).

We had our house built and is rather big but the first thing I said when they installed the softner is if we ever move its coming with us. It makes a big difference inside and outside.

Quick Reply: How Hard is Your Water?