Sonus?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_04Roush
NXT All Metal Polysh? Synwax? I'm not sure what you mean by sealant. :o
A "sealant" is a "synthetic wax"... like NXT, Synwax, Zaino and others.

OK - guess I'm still confused on 4 here. Are you saying either Meg's Step #2 then carnuba (#26 or P100/P21S) or step #2 and then NXT or Synwax?
Let me explain a little better...

There are all types of paint prep products.

There are pure chemical paint cleaners. (like step #1 - Deep Crystal paint cleaner) - They are used to clean the paint, and not really polish. Although the act of applying/removing them has a bit of a polishing affect.

There are highly abrasive polishes. (Sometimes called compounds or heavy cleaner polishes or "cut" polishes). These are the heavy weights... like Meguiar's Diamond Cut, Heavy Cut, Medium Cut... Etc. No need to worry about these in this thread. These are serious paint correction products to be used with a "rotary" buffer by an experienced person.

There are medium/light abrasive polishes. (Sometimes called cleaner/polishes) These are products that you can use with your PC... like Meguiar's DACP, Speed Glaze, Swirl Free Polish, and #9 SMR. Depending on the abrasiveness, they are excellent for removing very light scratches and swirl marks/spider web marks. In the case of the #9, it's mostly "hiding" those imperfections.

There are "glaze" polishes with no abrasiveness. (Sometimes called pure polishes) These are usually "high" content polishes used to cover swirls, and add high gloss... like Meguiar's Show Car glaze #7, Body Shop Pro Polish #81, and Deep Crystal Polish #2.

Because of the high oil content in glazes, I don't like using synthetic waxes "over" glazes. When used with natural waxes (carnauba) they are fine. Again, Meguiar's claims that NXT works fine with their glazes. Therefore, you could try it if you want. I just don't happen to agree.

Obviously, there are a whole bunch of other great polishes from other manufacturers. I just used the Meguiar's products here as a reference.

Here's what I would do for a carnauba wax:
Clay bar.
Paint Cleaner.
Medium or light abrasive polish.
Glaze
Carnauba wax (2 coats)
Maintain with good QD
Addition coat of wax as required

For a synthetic wax:
Clar bar
Paint Cleaner
Medium or light abrsive polish
Synthetic wax X 2 (you could stop here if you like the look)
Carnauba wax X 2
Maintain with good QD
Additional coat of sealant or wax as required.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

Old 01-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
Hope this clears up some confusion.
Absolutely! Thanks again! I appreciate it more than I can say

Old 01-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by Rjettman
I have a little experience with the Klasse twins. I used the all in one and the sealant glaze last year once before winter. I found that the all in one went on and off very easily, but the sealant glaze was very tough stuff to use. It goes on easy enough, but dries very hard, and it takes some elbow grease to get it off. I used the Sonus der wonder drying and buffing towels, which I liked very much, but I have very little experience with any other brands.

If I knew how to put up pictures here, I would show you some....sorry :o

I have also used the Klasse Twins and used the same towels. Used it on my 1998 Black Explorer. Same experience, the trick is to use as little as the product as you can. Before using these products used 3 different kinds on carnuba based wax. Always had a problem with dust showing, even a day after washing. I finally cleaned and clayed the whole thing and then used the Klasse twins. I really did make a noticable difference. Dust was not noticable as much and got a lot more compliments. Stayed cleaner longer, wash times were extended. I did not get as deep a shine that I did with the carnuba based waxes but I was more pleased overall with the Klasse products.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Rjettman,

I also currently use the Klasse twins. The AIO is easy to apply and easy to buff off and I think it has excellent cleaning abilities. The Sealant however I had problems just like you. You tend to put too much on and it is very hard to get off. You have to put a very thin coat on almost till you can't see it; this is hard for me as well as for others, but it can be done. If you put too much on, you can always spray water on the surface to aid removal of the sealant. Lastly, I think the durability of these two is excellent also.

Old 01-12-2006, 05:51 PM
Yep, there are a lot of good waxes (natural & synthetic). Klasse is certainly one of them!

However, the most important part of the paint detailing process is the prep, and the correct order of paint prep steps. Obviously, the detailing tools used in those steps are also extremely important.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Proper wash and wax tips

I have been reading these articles. I have a 05 Lariat. And I wash my truck at least once a week. I have noticed swirls. I am looking for a way to get them out and what products are best from washing soap to wax, from mit to drying product. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by eaglesf150; 01-12-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Sonus?