Plastic trim, paint chips, and dents

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My second detailing attempt

Hey guys. It's time to detail again and I have a few questions.

First, I never use anything like armorall on my plastic trim inside or outside because I hate the shine. I think it looks stupid but the trim pieces (especially my bed rails) have taken on a lot of dirt and are beginning to look old. Is there a miracle product or process that makes those pieces look like new without the shine?

Second, I remember a while back people talking about a product that I think you used in conjunction with factory touch up paint to virtually eliminate the look of paint chips. Can I get some more info on that please?

Last, I have a few dents from people hitting my doors (this is where I got the paint ships from). Do “dent masters” do a good job at removing dents? I was thinking of calling one before attempting to do any paint touch up. Comments?

Thanks guys (RP and Boss) and I look forward to hearing back from you….

Last edited by x-star; 01-07-2006 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Title needed to be changed
Old 01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Got my answer on the dents from a thread below, I guess I didn't look good enough for that one Any answers on the other two???

By the way, what happened to all the old threads? There used to be lots of good information in this forum but it's all gone.....Whats the deal?

Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Global Moderator &
Super Moderator
Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I use Mothers Back to Black on the rails. I really like it.

Old 01-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the product Bluejay. I'll order a bottle.

Last night I did my hood on my black 150. All I can say is wow...This is the second detail I have done with my DA and all the other stuff I got last time I detailed. If anyone is interested, the last post was called "Time to detail RP" and I got a lot of good info. The difference this time though is that I picked up some DACP after needing something slightly more abrasive. The hood looks better than the day I picked up the truck. Here is the process I used...

1st, DACP (#83) with a Cutting Pad on speed 4
2nd, DACP (#83) with a polishing pad on speed 4
3rd, Speed Glaze (#80) with a polishing pad on speed 4
4th, Swirl Remover (#9) with a polishing pad on speed 4
5th and 6th, two coats of NXT Tech wax by hand

The swirls are mostly gone and the hood looks amazing like I said earlier. I do have another question though. Is there something out there that you can put on the truck to prevent those swirls from coming back again other than wax and proper wash/dry techniques. I am thinking that maybe the Tech wax isn't giving all the protection that I could give the truck because I went out this morning to look at my work last night and there was a lot of dust on it. I took an MF towel and very lightly wiped a small area clean of the dust and the swirls were right back. It seems like the paint is extreamly sensitive to swirls (obviously) and that maybe a paste wax or an additional final step would give better protection. What do you think?

Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by x-star
Hey guys. It's time to detail again and I have a few questions.

First, I never use anything like armorall on my plastic trim inside or outside because I hate the shine. I think it looks stupid but the trim pieces (especially my bed rails) have taken on a lot of dirt and are beginning to look old. Is there a miracle product or process that makes those pieces look like new without the shine?

Thanks guys (RP and Boss) and I look forward to hearing back from you….

http://wizardsproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WP&Product_Code =11066309&Category_Code=

stuff works great.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the reply but your link doesn't work. Could you try again. I am very interested.

Old 01-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by CrAz3D
What sort of drill, or whatever, do you use for your polishing & such?
Do you use just a regular drill?

Also, is there any specific types of pads that you like?

I'm in need of a full down to the bone detail & will need to fill in some chips in the cleaer coat & also try to remove scratches produced by brush(bushes).
I am assuming you are talking about how I did the detail. I used a DA, aka PC (Dual action polisher, PC-Porter Cable). I think that is what you are talking about. You have a lot of post so I don't think it would be much for you to do a little research to find out what I am talking about and get a lot of good tips. Just listen to RP and Boss as they seem to know the most about detailing.

Also, in my third reply to this page, I mentioned a thread that I started a long time ago and got a lot of info on. Try doing a search for it as it might answer some basic questions.

BTW, can someone tell me how to do multiple "quotes" so I don't have to do two entries like this. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Plastic trim, paint chips, and dents