Polishing or Waxing, whats the dif.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polishing or Waxing, whats the dif.

Im sure there are some post about this somewhere but I couldn't find it. I have a '06. Just polished it with Liquid Glass. Is that good? Should I have waxed it first. I prefer doing it by hand.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Does clear coats need wax or is polish the thing to do?

Old 01-12-2006, 10:16 PM
Wax is the final step.
Polish is before wax.
There is a lot of information here on this.
Good information.
Search for it, very detailed posts one what to do.
Every step is explained.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Often times, these two words are synonymous however; with most lingo, they are not.

I believe that they became synonyms 'way back when'... now it (polishing) refers more to the removal of surface blemishes (swirls, scratches) and bringing out the deep luster in paint.

Waxing is more along the lines of the 'final step' for PROTECTION and gloss...

They are two distinctly different items in my mind but, like I said, the generations of past may have seen it a different way...

I'm not very familar with LG so, I'm going to let someone who knows more about it comment on that...

Clear coats definitely need 'protection' (be it wax or sealants)

Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Clear coats need wax.........perod. Polish first. Polish is a fine "micro-grit" that removes dirst and chemicals. Then wax. If you do not wah VERY well and polish VERY well you will seal in all the contaminents when you wax over them. Take your time and make a day of it.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:13 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just to add...

Polishing may, or may not, remove the contaminants that are on the vehicle. This is why knowing and assessing your painted surfaces is important as there's no perfect recipe that is good for every single vehicle.

As I've said in the past here and on other forums, every vehicle's paint is going to be a little bit different... knowing what products can deal with certain degrees of problems on a painted (or non-painted) surface is what can separate the men from the boys.

Any 'Joe Blow' can wax a car... it takes an enthusiast to do all the necessary 'prep work' to obtain that show car finish... it's all in the prep!

Old 01-20-2006, 06:49 AM
Liquid Glass is a synthetic wax with cleaners, or an "all-in-one" product if you wish. It cleans, and adds protection. You wouldn't want to wax "before" applying it, as the LG would remove most of the wax underneath.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
Liquid Glass is a synthetic wax with cleaners, or an "all-in-one" product if you wish. It cleans, and adds protection. You wouldn't want to wax "before" applying it, as the LG would remove most of the wax underneath.
It does have a pre-wax polish I use when I do mine. I've been with LG probably sincethe early 70's. Heck, if someone is too lazy to ploish before waxing then just rinse off your supper plate and re-use, no one will know!!

Quick Reply: Polishing or Waxing, whats the dif.