Boss, RP Polish Application Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Boss, RP Polish Application Question

Boss, RP,

I wanted to clay, clean (#1 Deep Crystal), polish (#2 Deep Crystal), and wax (NXT) this weekend, but I am unsure about using #2 followed by NXT after reading Boss' response in another thread.

Should I...

- skip the polish step since I don't have a lot of swirl marks in order to maximize the NXT bonding?

- wait and order #80 and use that as the polish and then follow with NXT (I don't think Autozone or Kragen's carries #80 locally)?

- go ahead and use #1, #2, and NXT?

Appreciate the help!

By the way, thanks for all of your informative posts.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:49 AM
mack,

Again, Meguiar's claims that NXT works fine over any of their polishes that have their trade secret oils... like #2. As a matter of fact, they claim that it actually works better over those products. I'm just not convinced that is true? On the other hand, as nice as a product as NXT is, it is not the most durable product around. Therefore, putting it on top of #2 may not make a significant difference.

For sure, the #2 will not remove swirls. However, it will "hide" some of them... at least temporarily.

Personally, I like NXT over Meguiar's ColorX, and then top the NXT with a fine carnauba.

Old 01-13-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the response Boss. A few more questions...

Will #80 help with swirl marks?

Does Mother's have a polish that will eliminate swirls and work well with Synwax?

I'm looking for a good series of products that I can pick up locally and use this weekend since it stopped raining and warmed up a bit.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mack4000
Should I...

- skip the polish step since I don't have a lot of swirl marks in order to maximize the NXT bonding?

- wait and order #80 and use that as the polish and then follow with NXT (I don't think Autozone or Kragen's carries #80 locally)?

- go ahead and use #1, #2, and NXT?

Appreciate the help!

By the way, thanks for all of your informative posts.
Like Boss, I'm not really convinced that the bonding issues are 'accelerated' by the addition of something on the surface. If it is true, it's unlike ANYTHING on the market... I'm not saying it's wrong but, I am saying that it's suspecious.

NXT vs. Color X... well, it depends on the vehicle in my opinion. I've actually had very good luck with Color X... depending on how advanced your swirl issue may be, it may be beneficial to go with Color X and then top with NXT and then top with Carnauba... (yes, that's several steps... omit the last topper if you want).

The 1, 2, NXT punch isn't a bad option but, again, I struggle with the 'bonding' issues with NXT(as aforementioned). I have, however, utilized this method on the 'wifey mobile' and it seemed to hold up fairly well.

Now, for #80... this is a product that I REALLY like as it's pretty versatile and easy to use (even by hand). I doubt, however, that you're going to find it on the shelf of a 'mart' store... try a local paint and body shop supply house... you're more likely to find it there. If all else fails, meguiars.com.

RP

Old 01-13-2006, 01:07 PM
Hey mack. #80 will remove swirl marks but needs to be applied properly. I think that the only way the product can breakdown properly is with the heat and speed of appliying with a DA. With that said, it is a large investment but if you are troubled with swirls, it's probably the only way you are going to get the results you are looking for.

I follow up an application of #80 with an application of #9 before I wax. IMO it really helps to make the paint shine and gives a great depth the you wont get with #80 alone. If #80 doesn't do the trick, you gan always move up to #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish (DACP). It's a little more abrasive and is great for removing swirls. Then, I would follow with the #80 and then the #9 and Wax.

I might be wrong but I think the Deep Cyrstal system won't remove swirls but hide them. Hope that helps and that my information is correct. If not, Boss will correct me in a minute.

Old 01-13-2006, 01:23 PM
RP, x-star,

Thanks for the info. I am leaning more towards buying a PC soon and doing this the right way. I will look for #80 at a body shop after work today.

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It can be applied by hand but, you're going to work your 'rump' off. It does take a little bit of time to break down properly ... most all diminishing abrasives are a massive fury beast by hand.

Like X, I really like #9 too. While it may only do a VERY minor job of removing problems with the paint, it will add a nice depth and help mask lite spiders that might be left over after polishing.

DACP, in my experience, is a product that isn't worth a flip by hand. It's simply too abrasive and requires an incredible amount of time to break down properly. Further, on dark paints, I find it difficult to even use via DA...

If I'm working on a dark vehicle (like my KR) and decide I need DACP, I always pull out the Makita... not the Porter Cable. I know oodles of folks that have great luck with #83 by DA but, I can't seem to get it.... but I can with the rotary. *shrugs*

The DC system offers no removal. You're dead-on right there... for an average home wax job (by hand and if you're not demanding high-end results), it's a nice combo though.

RP

Old 01-13-2006, 06:30 PM
There's not much I could add to RP's last post.

Good advise!

Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 PM
Talking

Thanks all. This is a great forum!

Quick Reply: Boss, RP Polish Application Question