i want to acetone my emblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want to acetone my emblems

i was wondering if i were to acetone the black off my f 150 emblems if it would take the "XLT" off on the fender emblems.

and what is the easiest way to go about "cleaning" the black off

Old 01-14-2006, 10:03 PM
I acetoned my badges, but it’s an ’01. I don’t know if acetone is working on the ‘03s but I don't see why not. I know they weren’t working on the 97 badges. So if they went back to the way the use to put the black on (like ’97 and earlier) then you may have an issue.

Welcome to the Board!

Old 01-14-2006, 10:13 PM
thanks i guess ill have to look into that

Old 01-14-2006, 10:36 PM
You should be fine. I just did my 2002 a couple days ago and it did NOT take off the XLT. I was hoping it would though as the red has fadded to a girly pink from the cali sun. Im going to work on it tomorrow to see if I can get it completely off. You should be fine with the 03 thought.

I use brake cleaner with acetone in it, that way its not a concentrated and if i spill a drop on my paint i can wipe it off really fast and dont have to worry too much. Ill try to take some pics tomorrow and post them here.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:40 PM
Depends on how hard and how much you apply the acetone. If you are careful you can do it without removing the XLT. If you want the XLT to be gone, just work at it a little longer and harder. Mine were faded to so I just rubbed the XLT off and replaced it with custom 5.4 stickers.

Sled...

Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM
found the best stuff for taking that type of paint off, it was made by krylon and called aircraft paint remover in a airosal can(or something close to that, will look up later for the can is at my shop). Anyways at first I tried to use acetone my emblems on my 97 just to see if It could be done and my xlt had turned pinkish, didnt even faise it after about 2 trys, had some of that aircraft remover and sprayed on my emblem, the stuff kinda fizzed up a little then I took a rag and almost all the paint came off on the first try with little scrubbing. By the way the 97 emblems have a nice jet black to them once you get that paint off.

try to post pics later

Quick Reply: i want to acetone my emblems