Help: Leather Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
EXCELLENT!!! Glad to see it worked out Thump!!!

Old 02-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use good old-fashioned saddle-soap to clean my leather. Use warm water, a dab of soap, a medium soft brush and circular cleaning. Clean, soft, dry cloth to rinse and another to dry. To preserve, never use an animal product or a silicone product. A VERY light application of real Bee's wax. Warm it up and let the wax soak in, then another clean cloth to take off any excess. Animal by-products are usually a "fatty" product and this stresses the leather fibres and eventually 'eats' your leather. A shoe repair person turned me on to this many years ago. It also works on motorcycle riding leathers and boots. The wax also preserves your stitching. Kind of like the sailors used on the old sailships of yore. I've never had wet feet while riding or walking, not even in torential down-pours of rain.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my detail bay, I mixed a couple products and made my own leather and carpet cleaner. Its a mixture of a citrus based cleaner and a multipurpose cleaner. Works miracles on dirty leather and carpets at the same time.

As for the leather, like RP said its not a high grade leather. Most leather in anything under 50 grand is actually coated with another substance. When it starts to wear is when you see the actual leather underneath. On high line cars, the leather isn't coated, but it will wear quickly if not properly protected constantly. The Lexol condition is great for the uncoated leather, but doesn't absord well into the coated stuff. When it starts to wear, you can actually have it resprayed to get a like new appearance. I use a cream based protectant for conditioning those kind of seats. The Lexol cleaner, as stated, is less than desireable.

Quick Reply: Help: Leather Cleaning