What is this "clay bar" stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MJN
Will the clay bar take off a previous wax job?
To a certain extent, any abrasive action on the paint will remove 'some' of the protective coating.

Specifically, with regards to clay, always follow-up with a protective step at the end of the event. Think of it this way...

You have a glob of rail dust on the paint that wasn't removed prior to your last wax job. Odds are, this rail dust may be 'encapsulated' on the paint with wax. When you come through and cleave it off, you're not only going to remove the rail dust spec, you're going to remove the coverage that was over the top of it.

By going back over it, you accomplish several things ... one, you regain the protection. Two, you regain the optics that are important to a clear, deep shine. And three, you do the job properly.

RP

Old 01-31-2006, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss_429
Well, if you used the whole bottle on one vehicle, you used way too much QD. Using too much QD can defeat the whole purpose of claying, as too much lubrication will not let the clay do it's work.

Use only enough QD to keep the clay from sticking. It should just glide over the paint. You should be able to feel it grabing the "crap", but not "dragging" on the paint.

Yes, a "little" more is better than too little. However, too much is a waste of time and product. It takes a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it.
It was my first time claying but it seemed like I was just using enough to keep it from sticking. It was hot and very low humidity, maybe it dries quicker here, I don't know.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM
MJN
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool thanks RP well said

Quick Reply: What is this "clay bar" stuff