Need some professional advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Need some professional advice

A friend let me borrow some 3M Super Duty Rubbing Compound.It is professional grade.The part number is 051131-05954.It is in a tall light tan 32 oz. bottle.He got it from his cousin,who does professional detailing.I was told this stuff will remove all the fine scratches on my truck,leaving a very deep wet look afterwards.The instructions only apply to buffers,not hand.First,has anyone ever heard of or used this product before? If I use it,will it damage my clearcoat?Can I apply it by hand or by machine only?I'm excited to see if it really works so please advise! Thanx!

Old 02-05-2006, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueOval,

I've used 3M's Super Duty Rubbing Compound before. (not sure if it's the same number - 3M has a million numbers )

The product we used was recommended for gelcoat... boats, and that's what we used it on. If it's the same product, it is VERY aggressive, and is best suited for use with a rotary buffer. It will also require some follow up with finer polishes, as it will probably leave some hazing.

I'm not sure I would use it on clear-coat. What are you trying to accomplish? There may be more suitable products.

Old 02-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Here is what some of the instructions read;
Recommended Applications: Designed for use on refinish acrylic lacquer or to Grade Ultra Fine 1000 or finer wet sanding scratches,minor orange peel or overspray.
After Compounding: Remove compound swirl marks using the appropriate machine glaze.
My friend noticed scratches on my truck and was just trying to help me out by recommending I use this stuff.He also said it would make my paint look better then new.I guess what i'm trying to accomplish my paint to look like that deep wet look and to lose some of the scratches at the same time.I didnt ask for this stuff; it was recommended to me and I came here seeking advice.

Old 02-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't used this one but, I have read about it in the past -- Like Boss mentioned, it's a VERY abrasive product and probably will have a hard time at removing fine swirls etc (because it'll be causing some of its own as it's designed to remove much more serious problems).

Like Boss mentioned, there may be a better product... Additionally, I'm pretty sure that this product would almost require a high-speed to break it down properly.

Old 02-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Ok,your recommendations and advice on them. My truck is dark blue with gold on bottom.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Moderator &

Are you doing this by hand or machine?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Hand.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Hand.
Stay away, you are going to cause more damage than you are trying to fix. My advice is to check ou www.meguiars.com, they have a car detailing forum with LOTS of info on SAFE ways to fix swirlmarks. Leave that stuff to professionals,

Old 02-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Moderator &

Do you have any pictures of how bad your swirling is...

I ask only because true swirl removal consists of removing clear coat that is on top of your color coat to return the paint to a smooth and even consistency. Most of the time, if the swirling is considerable enough, this will require the use of a rotary or, at least, a dual-action polisher. Additionally, many of the products that are out there that truly 'remove' swirls (not just conceal) are pretty labor intensive by hand and, in fact in my opinion, impossible to use -- that's not to say that all of them are this way though...

Here is how I see your problem -- it's dark paint and thus, it's more difficult to work on. I don't know the level of your problem and, sight unseen, it's tough to make a recommendation on an individual product. There are some good 'catch all' products that are out there that are very user friendly but, you're not going to achieve total removal (or total concealment for that case).

So, with that in mind, let me close with a few more questions for you --

1. What are you expecting? Do you want it back to perfection or are you going to be satisfied with making it 'better'?
2. How much time are you willing to invest in this project? As much as it takes? -- mind you, that could be a day or two of work.
3. Would it be easier for you to just belly up to the bar and pay a professional to do this? -- if you're close to KY, let me know.
4. Can you get some pics of what your paint looks like IN THE SUN. To take these pics, use the sun as a reflection point and take a picture of the sun reflecting in your paint. This type of picture is, usually, the most harsh and will reveal your problems.
5. Have you ever had it detailed and are you the original owner?

As for websites -- there are some good ones out there. As one of the original moderators for the site that Resox mentioned, www.meguiarsonline.com, let me tell you that it's a decent one but often skewed towards an individual brand name -- understandably though, it is a company run message board. I use a lot of Meguiar's products as I understand them and they yield the results that I typically desire. They aren't, however, the only game in town.

Boss that replied first to your thread is, by far and away in my opinion, as versed with a wide array of products as they come. He knows this stuff inside and out and has worked with this stuff for longer than I've been alive. It's critical to listen to this guy when he speaks -- I pick up mounds of information from him... and, in today's day and age of internet message boards, it's tough to find an individual to really 'trust'... any Joe Blow can make a statement...

I'll look forward to your answers and any other questions that you may have...

RP

Old 02-06-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
DO NOT USE!!!!!!

If you have minro swirl marks use 3M Hand Glaze first. the OEM clear coat is very thin and you have a very good chance of cutting through the clear coat even by hand with that product!

Quick Reply: Need some professional advice