I'm starting to see spider swirls on my Black 2006 FX4.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 04:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm starting to see spider swirls on my Black 2006 FX4.

Hi

I'm all paranoic, it is hard to maintain my truck clean and it hurts me to think all the harm I'm doing to my truck everytime I go to the car wash.

I put it on the sun and is starting to show spider swrils

I had a Black 2001 F150 for 5 years before I got my 2006 and at the end, my 2001 truck was filled of these swirls.

What can I do to avoid this effect and still having my truck clean.

Thank you very much

Giorgio

Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice truck! (Of course I'm kind of partial to regular cab / short boxes anyway.) So it sounds like you've discovered the dark side of black trucks. (Sorry about that.) All of us have been seduced by something slinky in black at one time or another in our lives. After a few years though, we find out that they need a ton of maintenance to keep that slinky look. Even our beloved RockPick fell for it recently. (You'll notice that he's been too busy trying to keep it slinky as of late and his post count it dropping like a stone.)

I'm sure Brad can chime in here, but the best thing you can do is in the prevention category. Every time you wash (or touch) your truck, you will scratch it. It's just a question of how bad. If you do a bit of searching in this forum, you'll find a ton of good advice from RP, Boss429 and others on how to avoid the spiderweb mess - and also how to remove them. Hope that helps!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey giorgio:

In reading your post, I get the feeling that you are taking your car to a carwash instead of doing it yourself (?). If this is the case, the best advice I could give to you is to start doing your own washes right in your driveway!

I, personally, would never even consider bringing my "baby" to a carwash of any kind -- they simply would never use as much care or the kind of products that I would allow on my truck! Search this section of the forum for oodles of posts regarding the proper way to wash, clay, polish, wax, and maintain the appearance of your vehicle!

That being said, your choice of color means this will be a rather time-consuming task if you want to keep your truck in tip-top condition! The guys here often joke that Black looks great -- for about 15 minutes after you detail it, and then goes quickly downhill from there!

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Thats part of owning black, everything shows, which is why i dont buy black.

DO NOT TAKE IT TO A CARWASH, HANDWASH!!! THATS THE MAIN THING TO AVOID IT. Always use clean sponges and such. Think about the guy with the muddy truck that goes to the drive thru before and gets dirt all over their brushes, then you come through and the dirt is still on the brushes, scratchin the crap out of your truck.

How to get rid of them , im not sure.Maybe someone can give you some tips

Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
...Black looks great -- for about 15 minutes after you detail it, and then goes quickly downhill from there!
Yes, that is true.

At a few weeks of having the truck I regreted to have it in black.
My street is not paved and I don't have a closed garage, so do the math.

So, thinking about this I bought a special canopy
http://www.elitedeals.com/he10x20cawen.html
I haven't been able to install it completly, but I hope that once done I could stop dust the truck from getting dust, which it sticks at nights with the moisture, sometimes there's so much moisture that drips to the floor.

I also bought a water pressure machine(like 1300psi or something like that) which I hope it has enough power to clean.

The only way I tought of washing the car is by using my water machine, no soup, and then just "touching" the truck with a special super-absorvent towel, which I already have, but not rubbing it in any way.

What do you guys think of this idea.

Is trange but I haven't been able to try none of the three above.. the cannopy, water machine and towel... for my lack of time, I'm always on a hurry because of my company.

If things doesn't work and my truck is always dirty I have considered painting the truck like White or Yellow, ofcourse woudn't want it because of the $$ it could cost..., but I might be forced to.

I will ask to some painting workshops for some prices.

Saludos

Giorgio

Last edited by giorgioF150; 02-10-2006 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Triton_Tophe
Thats part of owning black, everything shows, which is why i dont buy black.

DO NOT TAKE IT TO A CARWASH, HANDWASH!!! THATS THE MAIN THING TO AVOID IT. Always use clean sponges and such. Think about the guy with the muddy truck that goes to the drive thru before and gets dirt all over their brushes, then you come through and the dirt is still on the brushes, scratchin the crap out of your truck.

How to get rid of them , im not sure.Maybe someone can give you some tips
Yes, I understand I cannot taket it to the carwash anymore, it wasn't those machined drive throug based tough.

The problem is that it takes me like 4 hours to wash it and I don't even like how I do it.
So, all this time it has been to the carwash or no wash at all, I just don't have the time. I need to reduce the washing stuff for like 30-40min at much if I do it in order to work for me. So I hope using the cannopy, water machine and stuff will solve the issue, if not I will I'll check the paint option.... I know, all that $$$ thrown to the trash can because of(which could be) a bad decision.

Salutes

Giorgio

Last edited by giorgioF150; 02-10-2006 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:21 PM
I bought my truck in August and starting noticing the same thing recently. It looks like crap when it's clean and the sun is shining on it. I always wash it myself too. What to do?

Old 02-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by giorgioF150
I need to reduce the washing stuff for like 30-40min at much if I do it in order to work for me. So I hope using the cannopy, water machine and stuff will solve the issue, if not I will I'll check the paint option....
I don't mean to rain on your parade here, but if all you can invest is 30-40 minutes a week for the care of your vehicle, I doubt you will ever be satisfied with the appearance of your black paint.

When I wash my vehicles, I usually plan on spending a minimum of 3 hours on the task. This generally allows me enough time to clean and vacuum the interior, wash the interior windows, clean and towel-dry the exterior of the truck, apply tire dressing to the tires and wheel wells, wash the exterior windows and mirrors, and Rain-X the exterior windows.

If I were to cut out everything except washing and drying the exterior, I'd still plan on spending 1-1/2 to 2 hours on it. In my opinion, that's just how long it takes to do a decent job, and anything less means you're starting to cut corners.

Sounds to me like you need a silver truck, which don't tend to be real striking (even when freshly detailed) but are extremely forgiving regarding things like swirl marks and showing dirt.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the best way to elimainate them is to buy a pc(porter cable) and some good polish. i recomend www.poorboysworld.com. the ssr line is easy to use and does an excellent job.
on my truck I
1. wash with good car wash
2. clay with clay magic
3. rince truck again
4. polish all swirls out using the ssrs and pc
5. seal with a good polish or wax.
6. invest in good microfiber towels. only the best touches my truck.

Quick Reply: I'm starting to see spider swirls on my Black 2006 FX4.