A Review of The SPOT FREE WATER FILTER / SOFTENER SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Absolutely fantastic review RP!

I'm glad you finally found something that works for you.

GIVE THEM HELL ABOUT THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Old 02-18-2006, 10:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks again for the kudos guys...

Boss -- I actually plan on emailing them a link to this thread... I'm interested in trying to help them better their product because, in my honest opinion, they're on to something here. If I can suggest a way to help make it better for those who come after me, I'm all for it.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:47 AM
All of this talking about cleaning the truck got me in the mood to clean it this past Thursday,,, I spent 3 hrs. washing, and detailing..... and what happens that night? It drops 15 degrees and proceeds to rain for the next 3 days....

oh well, back to the drawing board.....

We need some rain up at the ranch,,,,,, maybe i should go wash the truck up there.

Rockpick, glad you found a winner! How much does the system weigh? Would a light weight luggage cart suffice or do you think it needs something like a wagon type thing?

Old 02-20-2006, 01:24 PM
Moderator &

Well, the shipping weight was 40'ish pounds. A lot of that weight was tied up in the plywood that everything was zip tied to... I'd guess total weight to be around 20 # empty -- 25 # operational.

I think a luggage cart, of some flavor, might work but, if I go along that route, I want to put some larger wheels on it so that they don't bury in soft soils.

RP

Old 02-20-2006, 01:33 PM
I've never tested my water hardness....considering I have a pool and all the test equipment it would be a breeze....come spring it is on my to do list and this might end up on my to order list.

Great review..

Old 02-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by vader716
Great review..

Thanks bud... Also, I appreciate the rep point!

Old 02-20-2006, 08:37 PM
just sharing my knowledge of water filtration

If it were a membrane system, the membrane itself would run well over the $300 price tag, plus it would need a drain off the side of the cannister, wouldn't be be bi-directional and wouldnt even be near his house pressure.

This is kinda the same system the company I work for makes, using a different tank though. We have a tank about 18" tall with softener resin in it and formulate how often to run salt through it by your water hardness.
We also played with the idea of mixing cation and anion resins regenerated with a hydrochloric acid which would give you deionized water but it isn't safe for the end customer. But it would be mineral free and cleaner than any RO water would dream of being.
As Rockpick said an RO that would do what he wanted would cost several thousands of dollars, and his system does what he wanted it to do.

Great revue and you has some pretty severe water dude

Patrick

PS unsoftened water ran through an RO will still come out registering hard on the test strips

Last edited by patiam69; 02-20-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:58 PM
Moderator &

Thanks patiam! I sincerely appreciate it.

BTW, if you all ever need a product tester for any systems, you know where to go for some REALLY horrible water quality -- ME! Seriously though, that cation/anion resin is interesting. How much HCl are you talking about utilizing for the regen? Would I have to file Tier II forms?

RP

Old 02-20-2006, 10:04 PM
There is a guy that works with me that used to work for Culligan and they have rental/exchange tank program for DI water. We make our version of tanks for car washes and for people who dont want to purchase a softener or have an automatic one installed.
We threw the DI water idea around but i think the owner canned it due to cost and liscensing cause of the acids. I will ask him tomorrow if he knows the ratio used, thats out of my league, i just know salt and KCL :o

Patrick

Old 02-20-2006, 10:40 PM
Moderator &

Yet another option that I looked in to -- the Culligan exchange program. It was just too much $$ for a 'little guy' detailer to justify... and I sure as heck couldn't justify it for my own personal vehicles -- I may as well go with a house system for that cost.

Let me know what you find out on the regen stuff. I'd be interested in hearing it.

Do you guys do any groundwater remediation stuff?

Old 02-21-2006, 09:36 PM
Moderator &

I wanted to add a little bit of information based on a question that I fielded over on another website where I also posted this review...

The filter media that is in the 'PRE FILTER' is replaceable.... at what frequency, I'm not sure. The instructions, IMO, should address stuff like this but... anyway...

I believe that this carbon pre-filter is pretty readily available at several places but, I haven't confirmed this. I look at this pre-filter in a similar light to the filter that is on your refrigerator that provides 'filtered' water in the door... in short, it's not doing a heck of a lot but, it does serve a purpose. I'll try to remember to update the masses when I come to this juncture.

Additionally, I was asked if the 'salt cartridge' regenerates the filter's resin media... the answer is yes. The salt will serve as a way to 'strip' off the Ca ions and such that have become entrapped on the media's surface.

I hope that might help clear a little bit of the air... again, if you have questions, feel free to ask!!

RP

Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
awesome write up RP , def somethin i would look into, seems it makes the drying process a lot easier also, and also just makes the water better, wonder if it has any effects on if you water your grass with it?? lol my grass needs softer water...

Old 02-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Moderator &

Thanks DrP. Not sure why your grass would need 'softer' water but, um k. LOL!

It definitely made drying much easier... no doubt there.

RP

Old 02-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Moderator &

I wanted to bring this back to the top and add a little more information as I've used it a few more times since posting this review...

First, the filter combo with a pressure washer is really a nice duo. I linked it with my 'home use' Campbell Hausfeld pressure washer yesterday and really liked the way it all worked out.

Second, the regeneration process, that I talked so poorly about from the instructions, is actually listed on the water filter itself. Doofus me didn't notice this the first couple of times I played with the water filter. Generally speaking, and in a very abbreviated summary, you hook up the water to the cartridge filter... remove the activated carbon cube and insert the salt cartridge (full of common softening salts), from there you kick on the water 1/4 open... That's it.

I haven't had to recharge yet as my test strips still show REALLY good water but, I can tell a slight change in color on the strip so I assume my first regeneration is coming up in the next couple of weeks.... I'll update the results...

RP

Old 02-28-2006, 03:15 PM
I used the Mr. Clean kit. I noticed a huge difference in water spots just using that. I can only imagine nice it would look with a pro-model.

Quick Reply: A Review of The SPOT FREE WATER FILTER / SOFTENER SYSTEM