A Review of The SPOT FREE WATER FILTER / SOFTENER SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RO water does not test hard, I'm not sure where you got that from. I have an RO system to supply water for my fish, it comes out of the system virtually devoid of mineral content because the membrane removes it. In fact I have to add a mineral supplement to put some back before using it in my tanks. We do use a water softener prior to the RO system and it's plumbed to the whole house, we had to intall it because our water is so hard we were replacing membranes in the RO every other month it seems.

This system seems to be just a under sink filter with a carbon / particulate filter and a DI cartridge. The under sink filter can be bought at Lowes for about $25.00, I've seen DI cartridgesystems for aquariums for as low as $45, so I'm just wondering about $300.00 price tag and whther you could put your own system together cheaper.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kretinus
RO water does not test hard, I'm not sure where you got that from. I have an RO system to supply water for my fish, it comes out of the system virtually devoid of mineral content because the membrane removes it. In fact I have to add a mineral supplement to put some back before using it in my tanks. We do use a water softener prior to the RO system and it's plumbed to the whole house, we had to intall it because our water is so hard we were replacing membranes in the RO every other month it seems.

This system seems to be just a under sink filter with a carbon / particulate filter and a DI cartridge. The under sink filter can be bought at Lowes for about $25.00, I've seen DI cartridgesystems for aquariums for as low as $45, so I'm just wondering about $300.00 price tag and whther you could put your own system together cheaper.
Huh?

Where did anyone mention that DO water tests hard? Quite the contrary... it's one of the best filtration methods out there... not cheap by any means either.

The system is FAR from an 'under the sink' carbon filter. This is a version of an ion-exchange filtration unit... that's where the $300 price tag comes in.

Again, if I wanted to make my own DI, it'd really be pretty simple. The fact that I want water pressure to utilize for washing and 'crud removal' can't be accomplished with any $45 unit. Further, true DI water will come with filters that have to be frequently replaced and that can't really handle much pressure (unless you call Mr. Culligan and go that route). DO water, as you pointed out, can get expensive with membranes -- again, I didn't want that.

Take another look at my review... it's not a DI unit... it's not RO... it's IO... IO with pressure that works exceedingly well.

RP

Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Where did anyone mention that DO water tests hard?
Somone else said it if you read back a few posts.

Originally Posted by RockPick
The system is FAR from an 'under the sink' carbon filter. This is a version of an ion-exchange filtration unit... that's where the $300 price tag comes in
I was referring to the sediment pre-filter, not the exchange cannister itself, but I could probably find an exchange cartridge for under the $275 left over from the purchase of the pre-filter.

I'm not doubting your unit works, it's just that in my experience you can usually make something yourself cheaper than you can buy it, especially since your product is most likely made from manufactured components, purchased and assembled as opposed to proprietary components.

Can't help myself, it's the yankee in me, never buy when you can build, never buy new when used will do, never inhale 3 beers and a shot or two and THEN decide what women at the party are attractive ....

Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by kretinus
Somone else said it if you read back a few posts.

I was referring to the sediment pre-filter, not the exchange cannister itself, but I could probably find an exchange cartridge for under the $275 left over from the purchase of the pre-filter.

I'm not doubting your unit works, it's just that in my experience you can usually make something yourself cheaper than you can buy it, especially since your product is most likely made from manufactured components, purchased and assembled as opposed to proprietary components.

Can't help myself, it's the yankee in me, never buy when you can build, never buy new when used will do, never inhale 3 beers and a shot or two and THEN decide what women at the party are attractive ....
I gotcha... sorry for the misunderstanding there. Didn't mean to come off to harsh there...

I understand totally where you're coming from. The item that I think I'd have a helluva time coming up with would be the ion-exchange resin. With my experience with other 'high-end' ion-exchange systems (for groundwater remediation), the resins are the most expensive portions of the systems often times... this is because they're proprietary as all get-out.

The entire unit, itself, would be pretty simple to construct honestly -- it's that darn resin...

LMAO @ the 'women at the party' comment. Oh how true... LOL! I guess we've all been there and done that before eh? LOL!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Spot free

Ever try very warm water when rinsing the truck? I have been told it will result in rmoving former spots and dry spot free. I am not saying it's true but I read this a week ago and may try it. But rather than pay for a soft water system I would buy a gallon of distilled water and a hand sprayer and simply spray the distilled water on the truck after rinsing. Personally I like to chamois it dry beaue you can visually inspect for a perfect wash as you dry.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
1. After I'm through rinsing the car wash/shampoo off, I take the nozzle off the hose and go over it again with free flowing water to get the big puddles off.

2. I start drying with 2 large M/F towels.

3. In case I'm running slow and come accross some water spots, I put the nozzle back on and set the dial to MIST.

4. Mist the water spots area and then dry immediately.

Works pretty good for me.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Since moving here our water was very hard. I had a whole house filter and water softener installed and have been happy. I had no idea they made a portable kit like that RP. Might talk my dad into that for his house in NC...as the water there is worse than here.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by fmdog44
Ever try very warm water when rinsing the truck? I have been told it will result in rmoving former spots and dry spot free.
My gut feel would be that warm water would actually be bringing more of the metals into solution since they are, indeed, water soluable... Not sure but, this would be my hunch.

Maybe the reason that the warm water brings the other water spots off is because it's helping bring that mineral deposit back into solution. Not sure but, scientifically it seems unlikely...

RP

Old 03-03-2006, 04:55 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Pete V
1. After I'm through rinsing the car wash/shampoo off, I take the nozzle off the hose and go over it again with free flowing water to get the big puddles off.
Me too... this method DRAMATICALLY decreases my towel useage...

Runs from door seals, emblems, and other water magnet spots always run down my paint introducing white streaks of minerals though... this filter helps to dramatically reduce this...

Old 09-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Such a great review, I had to bump it.

I want one....

Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
The Spot Free Water Softener / Filtration System
A Review by Rockpick
© 2006

Disclaimer – I have absolutely no affiliation with any of the vendors or manufacturers mentioned within this review. The information contained herein is solely of my own collection and presentation. Any variations, suggestions, or incurred information should be used at your own risk.

After several posts in the past with me griping about the water quality that I have present in my neck of the woods (Example #1 / Example #2), I have finally opted to bite the bullet and purchase the Spot Free Water Filter and Water Softener System. I purchased this unit from Auto Detailing Solutions a few weeks ago while gathering some other goodies. At this point in the game, I was ready to try just about anything out there on the market in an effort to attempt to reduce the calcium carbonate levels in my tap water. Owning two ‘dark’ colored vehicles (black and Eddie Bauer dark green), the necessity was clear and present. Add that to the fact that I detail vehicles on the weekend as a sideline and the choice was clear.

I weighed a few options for a household water softening system but decided against it because I wanted something specifically for washing the vehicles. Further, I couldn’t justify the expense involved with the installation of a water softening system for the house as I simply don’t see us in this house more than a few more years and the tremendous lack of space for such a system…

With that in mind, let’s take a look at this system from a standard review standpoint…

1. PACKAGING – Bomb proof. This thing comes packaged in a box that could double as a casket. Further, the pre-filter, filter, hoses, test strips, and salt cartridge come zip-tied to a piece of painted plywood. The filter itself is secured at both the inlet and outlet with pieces of wood that are wood screwed to the plywood. Additionally, there is a metal strap that extends across the top of the filter from wood piece to wood piece to hold the filter in place. I really feel like you could give this thing some SERIOUS abuse in shipping and it would actually survive. On a scale of 1 – 10, this thing is packaged along the lines of a 15. It literally took me about 5 full minutes to just get everything out of the box – and that required the use of a pair of Craftsman snips and some elbow grease with a Phillips screwdriver. It’s a little bulky from a shipping standpoint – I honestly thought they had goofed and had sent me a ‘case’ of filters as it was packaged within another box for shipping. I don’t know the exact measurements but, it was large and it was around 40 pounds.

2. INSTRUCTIONS – These are only average. Honestly, I’m disappointed in the level of instruction that they provide as this is a high dollar piece of equipment. The instructions consisted of a single page with a few bulleted/numbered items. I suppose they consider the purchaser to be of above-average confidence and intelligence when it comes to water filtration because, one could, pretty easily, be a little bit intimidated by making this thing work. In a nutshell, the only thing that the instructions really tell a person is to let it run for 2 minutes before initial use and to use the salt canister to recharge it around every 1000 gallons. To me, this seemed way too generic. I believe it would be beneficial if they would add a ‘packing’ list of some sort that showed a picture of the pieces along with descriptions. Also, a nice picture of the thing all hooked up would be nice (although, there is a generic schematic printed on the casket – urrr, box. On a scale of 1-10, the instruction packet gets a 4. Fortunately though, I felt confident enough to put it all together and make it work without having to go through much heart ache. One tip, if you do go with this filtration unit, unwrap the carbon filter that is in the pre-filter unit. It’s stuck in there but, it has plastic wrap on it.

<CONTINUED>
That is agreat review of The SPOT FREE WATER FILTER / SOFTENER SYSTEM... great reads...

Old 02-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Hi Everyone,
THis Is JAke Smith...
Very Nice Information...
Thanks!

Quick Reply: A Review of The SPOT FREE WATER FILTER / SOFTENER SYSTEM