Good leather conditioner/protectant?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josiah
Yeah, I use the Meguiar's Leather Wipes and omfg, one of the best products I have and I have a lot (like most F-150 owners). The leather wipes do wonders to restore that luster and shine to the wood, plastic and scratched lenses of the radio lcd display, etc. Wipe those on and then use a lint free cloth to wipe it off, I swear to you it will look new. However, using them for their intended purpose is overkill unless you wipe off the residue, you literally slide around in your seat around every corner...good way to make your passengers fasten their seatbelts. I have the black leather interior.
I tried the meguiars wipes and clean towel trick and it worked great! They left a nice conditioned look with no haze or over-shine. I would definately recommend this to anyone with dark seats. Got a few pics in the gallery if anyone would like to see the results of the weekend detail. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2006, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pacrat77j
I tried the meguiars wipes and clean towel trick and it worked great! They left a nice conditioned look with no haze or over-shine. I would definately recommend this to anyone with dark seats. Got a few pics in the gallery if anyone would like to see the results of the weekend detail. Thanks!
Glad I could help

Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 PM
Although I do like the Maguairs products (especially the car wash stuff), I have been using the Lexol conditioner & cleaner all things leather including jackets, gloves, chaps, and the auto seats with excellent results.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:12 AM
Leather should only be cleaned with saddle/leather soap, rinsed with cool clear water, then protected with Bee's wax. Don't use anything with animal fat or silicone ingredients. They make the leather deteriorate. The saddle soap cleans, and softens, the bee's wax also softens and protects. Just make sure the leather is warm and use very little wax, it goes a long ways and also conditions the stitching. I've used that combination on my riding leathers for over 10 years on the same leathers and they look as new as they looked more than 10 years ago.

Old 04-09-2006, 02:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not familar with bees wax but, saddle soap is, in fact, a very poor 'cleaner' by the truest sense of the word...

The Myth of Saddle Soap

Old 04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I noticed that the diss on saddle soap was published by a brand name cleaner. Could be a marketing ploy to encourage you to use their product? I don't know, but will do more research into it. Until then, I will continue to use the saddle soap and bees wax method that has been good to me for over 10 years.
Also, my leather is just as good as the day I bought it over 10 years ago.

Old 04-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by northernnorm
I noticed that the diss on saddle soap was published by a brand name cleaner. Could be a marketing ploy to encourage you to use their product? I don't know, but will do more research into it. Until then, I will continue to use the saddle soap and bees wax method that has been good to me for over 10 years.
Also, my leather is just as good as the day I bought it over 10 years ago.
Actually, if you'll re-read that... it's published by a web vendor of MULTITUDES of products. The root of the site is AutoGeek.com which is a VERY prominant detailing supply house for thousands of online customers.

My post wasn't meant as a 'diss' to you or your process but more of an informational blurb to contrast your procedure as it may not be the best choice for everyone. Again, I don't mean that as a personal attack at all... quite the contrary. It was simply put out there as information...

The bottom line -- if you're using it and it works for you -- keep doing it. I know I have some goofy processes that some bawk at as well...

Old 04-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi, Rock
I know you never meant your post as a diss and no offense taken. I was commenting on the site, the fact that it has a Major Sponsor/Product logo that disses the saddle soap.
On the topic, though, I was watching 2 Wheel Tuesday last night. I saw a piece about Doc Leather, I think it was. He has a product, which, according to "Doc" is a cleaner, conditioner and dye product. He boasts that he sells thousands of bottles of the stuff each year, and has NEVER had to refund any monies to anyone, although he has a guarantee of satisfaction or your money back, even if you send him the empty bottle.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:00 PM
Moderator &

Hi, Rock
I know you never meant your post as a diss and no offense taken. I was commenting on the site, the fact that it has a Major Sponsor/Product logo that disses the saddle soap.
On the topic, though, I was watching 2 Wheel Tuesday last night. I saw a piece about Doc Leather, I think it was. He has a product, which, according to "Doc" is a cleaner, conditioner and dye product. He boasts that he sells thousands of bottles of the stuff each year, and has NEVER had to refund any monies to anyone, although he has a guarantee of satisfaction or your money back, even if you send him the empty bottle.
Thanks for understanding. As you know, it's often times difficult to portray a 'tone' with a message board post and I wanted to be critically clear as possible that I wasn't attacking your stance. Thanks again.

As for the Doc Leather... I'd be VERY interested in seeing what he has. Have a link or anything? I'll give it a whirl.... on my wife's vehicle. LOL!

RP

Old 04-12-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll try to find their site. be right back.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Here's the site. I never went through it, but you can do that for yourself. I'm going to check it out now.
http://www.docbailey.com/leather_care.asp

Old 04-13-2006, 06:53 PM
I use Meg's in a spray bottle.. I hate wipes (not related to Meg's, but wipes in general)..

I need to find a good cleaner, however for my wife's truck. Thinking of switching to Lexol..

Meg's is great - no complaints thus far. Works great and has a wonderful scent!

Old 04-13-2006, 07:25 PM
Moderator &

Here's the site. I never went through it, but you can do that for yourself. I'm going to check it out now.
http://www.docbailey.com/leather_care.asp
Pricey stuff... I wonder if they have samples...

Quick Reply: Good leather conditioner/protectant?