Discoration of plastic body panels on my Expedition.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discoration of plastic body panels on my Expedition.

I need some help everyone. I have a 2003 Expedition and the plastic panels along the rocker panels are discolored. and everything i try nothing helps. I talk with the dealer and they think i need to repaint the plastic. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Thanks for any info.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Are they discolored or is it like on the old jeeps where they start to turn white?

Old 03-23-2006, 02:51 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
We have a similar problem with our 2000 Expdition. It is the panel underneath the steering wheel. It begins to look oxidized. We took it to the dealer when it was about a year old. The Armoralled it and told us to do that occcaionally. It was like a sealer was not put on it or smoething of that sort.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Its the panels on the outside along the bottom .

The truck is silver with the grey plastic. and the plastic is discolored lighter , kind of turning white. the dealer said i shouldnt armour all it ,thats probably what did it they said. I have tried exterior trim detailer and other type stuff. and nothing has helped. I also used wax and grease remover and that made it look worse.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:19 PM
Global Moderator &

I misunderstood, sorry, i was thinking interior. I used some Back to Black on the plastic bed rails of my truck and after about a week, there was a white residue dried in the rough surface. Turned them grey. The only thing that has helped is the high pressure water at the car wash. I held it very close and flushed it out of the grain. I had to do it several times as at first it streaked it, just had to repeat it till I got it all out. I will never use Back to Black on a textured surface again. When I first used it, I saw it was white and I had the thought that might happen, but then I thought surely not.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I've used the Black Magic dashboard protectant on all of my vehicles outside rubber parts for years and no discoloration has ever happened. But then again...I can't seem to keep a vehicle for over two years. If you use that Back to Black stuff, it will look good for a few hours to a few days. The parents use it on their jeep and have to use it weekly.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
I've used the Black Magic dashboard protectant on all of my vehicles outside rubber parts for years and no discoloration has ever happened. But then again...I can't seem to keep a vehicle for over two years. If you use that Back to Black stuff, it will look good for a few hours to a few days. The parents use it on their jeep and have to use it weekly.
That is correct on the Back to Black, looks good for about a week, then turns grey. I will try the Black Magic.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:26 PM
If you can find it the Aerospace 303 protectant is perhaps some of the best UV blocking protectant out there. It's a bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for. Numerous companies recommend it on anything with a long term sun exposure like boats, hot tubs, etc.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by fire76wolf
Its the panels on the outside along the bottom .

The truck is silver with the grey plastic. and the plastic is discolored lighter , kind of turning white. the dealer said i shouldnt armour all it ,thats probably what did it they said. I have tried exterior trim detailer and other type stuff. and nothing has helped. I also used wax and grease remover and that made it look worse.
Printable View (8 KB)
TSB
04-17-7 EXTERIOR DOOR TRIM MOULDINGS FADING - TITANIUM AND PLATINUM ONLY

Publication Date: August 20, 2004

FORD: 2003-2004 Expedition

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2004 Expedition XLT vehicles, (excluding Eddie Bauer models), built 2/1/2003 to 12/31/2003 may exhibit the front and rear exterior door trim and fender extension moldings (cladding) fading.

ACTION:
Replace all cladding on all four (4) doors and fender extensions. All cladding supplied in the Service Kit must be installed to prevent color mismatch and continued fading.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Clean off the area below the character line and above the cladding. Remove dirt as necessary.
Apply protective tape (minimum width 1") directly above the molding. This will prevent scratches when moving the tool along the cladding to release (pop up) the cladding retaining clips.
NOTE: PAINTING WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR THIS REPAIR.

Using Trim Removal Tool (OTC-4489), open the door and begin to pop up the nine (9) retaining clips across the top of the cladding and the four (4) across the bottom. Once the cladding has been removed from the body, remove the protective tape.
Install the new part (retaining clips are included on the new part). Repeat the repair on the remaining doors.
Remove the two (2) screws that attach the fender extensions.
NOTE: RETAIN THE SCREWS AS THEY WILL BE REUSED.

Install the new fender extensions reusing the original screws.
Return the vehicle to the customer.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L1Z-78465K00-AAA Medium Dark Platinum Cladding Kit
3L1Z-78465K00-AAB Medium Platinum Cladding Kit
3L1Z-78465K00-AAA Medium Titanium Cladding Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
041707A Replace Cladding On All Four Doors And Fender Extensions Eight Pieces Total 1.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7820878 81

I think i accidentally sent the e-mail to FX4 guy... hopefully this helps..

Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Excellent post!!!!!!!!! I rep'd you!

Old 03-25-2006, 08:40 AM
thanks RockPick!! Just tryin to help out!

Old 03-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone for your help

Old 03-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Over time, all plastic panels will discolor from sunlight exposure, some worse than others. The best bet is to keep them as clean as possible and park out of direct sunlight as often as possible. Its not a matter of if, but when.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:05 PM
My problem is i just bout this thing with it already discolored and im trying to fix it.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:25 PM
get me your VIn number and I'll see if i ca help.. send it to crector@raisorford.com... with your mileage?

Quick Reply: Discoration of plastic body panels on my Expedition.