Spring Cleaning Wish List.Your Favourites!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Cleaning Wish List.Your Favourites!

Ok here I am after spending today checking out cleaning products at various auto parts stores.I have been reading many articles and am getting more and more confused of what to buy.I am after from what I have read.
1-Clay Bar
2-wax cleaner
3-synthetic wax
4-Carnuba wax
5-Tyre Cleaner
6-Glass Cleaner
7-Black plastic trim protectant
Will be buying online as it looks like it will be easier,preferably at one store.So what do you all suggest.Any help much appreciated.Presently I will be doing this by hand and looking out for a good deal on a PC.Thanks

Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the PC, definitely consider www.autodetailingsolutions.com. Easily the best deal on a PC going...

1. Clay -- Just about all of them are good. I have found no 'clear cut' winner over the next guys' product. Find one and use it per the directions. Clay Magic, Mothers, Meguiars ... any of them.

2. I assume you meant 'paint cleaner'. Again, there are several good ones, seeing that your truck is a 2004, you may not need to 'clean' but rather 'polish' to remove swirls and fine scratches. Cleaners are a bit more chemically aggressive and deal more along the lines of oxidation and such -- an 04 really shouldn't have any oxidation unless you live next to an industrial park with some SERIOUS emission issues. Do you want to polish or clean?

3. Mothers Synwax or Meguiar's NXT. Both are very respected products -- with the slight edge seemingly going to the Mother's product.

4. Meguiar's #26. This is one of my favorite carnauba waxes out there. There are several other great ones as well though.... what color are we working on? This may dictate which is suggested based on experience with different products. Either way though, I like your attack here... synthetic followed by carnauba. To me, this yields great durability with a carnauba/wet/deep look.

5. Tire Cleaner -- you'll want to clean your tires early in the process -- not after waxing. Further, if you meant tire protectant / shine, again, you'll want to do this BEFORE waxing. Lots of great products out there for this step. I'm pretty loyal to one or two that you buy by the gallon so, I'm going to let someone else sing some praises here for products.

6. Glass - NXT Glass Cleaner from Meguiars is a fantastic product. Other great ones include Stoners Invisible Glass and Sprayway. You won't go wrong with any of those three. Using all three, I prefer the NXT -- not because it's Meguiar's, because I've had a better experience with it overall... like I said though, they're all good products -- hard to go wrong with any of them.

7. Trim -- Vinylex. Excellent stuff. Apply to an applicator -- apply -- allow to dry -- come back and buff/remove with a dry MF towel. Another very solid product is Aerospace 303.

Remember though, great products don't make the detail -- it's the procedure, technique, and common sense factors that far outweigh any chemical. Any Joe-Blow can smack a coat of wax on a vehicle but, it takes someone with a bit of savvyness to go through the necessary prep steps with correct technique and procedure to yield a show car look.

RP

Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Thanks RockPick for the reply,my truck is Dark Shadow Gray and yes I am after a polish as it has been garaged and has few miles.Thanks again.

Old 03-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Suspended
What stores carry Vinylex and how much is it? What about a shine for the undercarriage?

Old 03-27-2006, 10:04 PM
Make sure the pollen is done with it's "spring screwing" before you go all out on your spring cleaning. I learned the hard way lol.

Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 PM
Fortunately we won't see our pollen here for at least another 6 weeks.I still have to wait so that enough snow melts so that I can get to the hose bib.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:01 AM
how exacly does the clay bar work? Do you just spray water, then rub with clay? Or is it spraying a type of car polish and working it with the clay?

Old 04-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by cwbpro69
how exacly does the clay bar work? Do you just spray water, then rub with clay? Or is it spraying a type of car polish and working it with the clay?
If you buy a clay kit, it usually comes with a quick detailer spray as a lubricant. Break the clay into 2 or 3 parts and knead one to loosen it up a bit. Spray an area, 2x2 foot, with the lubricant and rub the clay on it. If the clay sticks at all, you spray more lubricant so the clay won't stick. Wipe the area dry after you have rubbed the section. You knead the clay every after a couple of areas too. DO NOT USE THE CLAY IF YOU DROP IT ON THE GROUND! Throw it away and get another piece.

The clay removes the contaminants that are stuck on the paint. Wipe your hand over the area that was clayed and it should feel like glass. It is amazing how much crap the clay can get off.

After you have used the clay, you can either wash your truck again (not necessary in my opinion) or throw a coat of wax on. I hope this helps.

Kevin

Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice recommendation Kevin! Very nice answer.

Quick Reply: Spring Cleaning Wish List.Your Favourites!