Detailing Polished Stainless

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detailing Polished Stainless

I recently bought some TFP Stainlees door handle covers. I installed one on the tailgate first to see how I liked them. Looked great! I had finger prints on it so I used some some Mothers Chrome Polish on it. I ended up with the slight haze scratches on it!! It is just enough that I can live with it. I'm going to install the rest of the covers on my screw but don't want the haze on them. Is there anything I can use on them to polish or wax them???

Old 03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm not familar with the material... you're calling them stainless but, are they stainless colored plastic? -- or are they actual metal?

What did you use to apply the Mother's and what did you use to remove it?

Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 PM
If you scratched it, its not stainless. Rubbing that polish on stainless enough will cause it to look chrome. And scratching stainless is not that easy.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 98Navi
If you scratched it, its not stainless. Rubbing that polish on stainless enough will cause it to look chrome. And scratching stainless is not that easy.
Kind of my hunch too but, that's why I asked what he used to apply/remove.

Old 03-28-2006, 11:44 PM
TFP say's their handle covers are stainless steel that is highly polished. Maybe this is where I messed up. I have used for years really old soft t-shirts to put on and off waxes and polishes....This is my first truck where I have been adding chrome. All my other trucks where always blackened out and never noticed any problems...I plan on adding some other chrome pieces that are plastic too.....

Old 03-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try some 2000 grit sandpaper, and/or some Blue magic, Wenol, or MAAS type metal polish to bring it back out. I have the covers on just the moving part of my door handles, and I have to polish them every once in a while, when they begin to look bluish/finger prints, or hazy. I have used 2000 grit paper to polish stainless pots and pans, so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Try it in an area you will not notice, to make sure it won't scratch it. TFP products are stainless. My guess is the chrome polish grit is too heavy for it, they usually are more for removing rust and minerals, rather than actually polishing.,,,,98

Tape up the paint around the handle to make sure you won't have to polish it back out as well. Use dish soap and water mixed and let the paper soak about 20 minutes before using it.

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 03-29-2006 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:30 AM
The thought of wet sanding anything metal scares me!! Esp since I have never done it before...I might just leave the tailgate handle alone since it isn't all that bad.

So you use Blue Magic, Wenol or a MAAS ( ??? ) type polish when shining them up? Do you use a special cloth when buffing them??

I just don't want anymore scratches everywhere I add the chrome....

Thanks

Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As hard as stainless is, the 2000 grit acts as a polish. You need one of those ammonia based polishes. I never thought it was possible, but stainless will turn a rag black just like aluminum will. Polishing stainless takes patience and lots of elbow grease, but the result is a chrome like finish. The good part is it does not have to be done that often. I polish my handles out about once a year, or whenever I can't stand the sight of them. I generally use an old t shirt, since the weave is finer than terry.,,,,98

I will be the guinea pig for the 2k, and let you know what happens.

Wenol can be found at almost antique mall/store. Car shows always have it too.

Blue Magic can be found at almost any auto parts store.

MAAS, I believe I bought it at home depot.

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 03-30-2006 at 06:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Detailing Polished Stainless